Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-08-2005 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber

converting ploygons into sub divisions

hey , when i got to the end of part 4 on "the free frog - high res"
tutorial it asks you to sub divide and when i do that succsesfually i get holes apearing can anyone tell me why and i even lost some work on this trying to re-shape his hand to it looks better again once i tried converting, heres a pic

user added image

# 2 24-08-2005 , 05:50 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
It happens when u use "Cleanup" option. Or u have some nomanifold geometry there.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 3 24-08-2005 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
but the only way i can get the clean up to work is by puttin that option on are there any other ways that i can clean up and still make a succsessful conver from polygons to sub divisions

# 4 24-08-2005 , 06:15 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
I think that there's a painful way to make it manually...user added image

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 5 24-08-2005 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
anything to get my frog done , am keen to learn

# 6 24-08-2005 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
Before converting, go into the display settings and enable "border edges." This will make borders slighty thicker then other edges. If you see borders in the middle of your mesh where they should not be, then you probably need to reverse the normals or merge some vertices. Another thing to be watchful for is the "keep faces together" option which can sometimes cause similar results for extrusions later coverted to subDs.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 24-08-2005 at 06:43 PM.
# 7 24-08-2005 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the help , ill try it out and if i get it working ill remember to thank you ,and you sound like you made the tutorial yourself , did u?

# 8 24-08-2005 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
YES , thnak youuuuuuu very much it worked

# 9 24-08-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by linx02
thanks for the help , ill try it out and if i get it working ill remember to thank you ,and you sound like you made the tutorial yourself , did u?

Nope, just a plain old forum member like you. Good to see you got it worked out.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 12-09-2005 , 01:36 PM

good

very very very good

# 11 12-09-2005 , 01:55 PM
hehe! cleaning up the normals-thing was the unresolvable problem for everybody of us once I guess. it kept myself struggling with for some weeks...

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 12 17-09-2005 , 02:10 AM
Quite good Quite good thank you