Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-01-2010 , 04:32 AM

3D graphics requirement

Hello,

I've been using maya 8 for over a year now and i truly love it. Hope to upgrade to newest version in the near future.
I've been planning to upgrade to a new computer system but I'm not sure what I should concentrate on. Is more memory important for a new system? How about a more powerful graphics card? Does the the system need a powerful chip? Not sure what is more important in the 3D graphics wourld. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks,
Gary

# 2 27-01-2010 , 01:45 PM
Technical Director
Graphics cards are important for issue-free work, however ram is very helpful especially when you hit those higher amounts of polys.

For video cards, you'll want to take a look at the Nvidia Quadros, or ATI FirePros. These are their workstation cards, which are purpose-built for things like Maya. These cards support more features of OpenGL, which is the rendering engine that Maya uses.

Gaming cards have issues with Maya; such as display problems, or even crashes.

The higher-end versions of these cards can be pretty pricey, but the lower-end are quite reasonably priced. Check the Maya qual charts and see what's qualified to run Maya: https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 27-01-2010 , 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
If you're planning on rendering on the same machine, then you need a fast processor with adequate cooling and a decent amount of RAM. If you're a hobbyist, then a good workstation card may or may not be worth the price tag, the decent lower end ones are around $500. There are many people who use consumer cards with Maya and have little complaints.

- Genny