Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 07-05-2006 , 10:02 PM
I have also started putting together the sparkle disc mechanism thing...

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 07-05-2006 , 10:19 PM
Cool. In the movie that was pretty much all I could see user added image

# 18 07-05-2006 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Is it working ok with your 15+ sided faces?

# 19 07-05-2006 , 10:32 PM
wow! 15 sides? Are you referring to the wheels? I used booleans on those - people seemed to recommend against them, but I wanted to try them out.

actually, I am not really sure what the rules are when it comes to doing inorganic modelling. I wasn't sure if the number of faces mattered if the object isn't deforming.
user added image

# 20 07-05-2006 , 11:04 PM
yeah- if its not deforming and you're not smoothing it, and also if it doesn't get botched up in rendering then, sure it will work.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 21 08-05-2006 , 04:00 AM
thanks MattTheMan. That's good to know.user added image

# 22 08-05-2006 , 08:46 PM
good work mate keep it up user added image and clean too.

ps: booleans aren't allowed to use? so why they invented it in the first place user added image

I use booleans when needed...is it bad?

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 23 08-05-2006 , 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Masteryoda
good work mate keep it up user added image and clean too.

ps: booleans aren't allowed to use? so why they invented it in the first place user added image

I use booleans when needed...is it bad?

if you smooth booleaned objects, all hell will break loose :p

I personally like to avoid them, as I always smooth my stuff. But its mostly up to personal preference.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 24 15-07-2006 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber
Yeah booleans can be a problem from time to time, but as long as clean up the geometry afterwards it should be fine...

Sometimes you eat the bear...Sometimes the bear eats you...
Either way...shit happens

https://www.fadedseoul.com
# 25 15-07-2006 , 06:52 AM
actually, the best way to animate gears is to animate just one of them (or animate a control with that state considered the 'zero' state) and animate the rotations of the other gears (and wheels) based on that. Decently simple algebra, presuming you get the actual sizes of the gears right.

Booleans will be critical (at least in my opinion) for some of this. You just have to be careful how you work with them. And I suppose smoothing booleand stuff could cause problems, especially with history on (that is, if you did the whole object at one go). If objects still need smoothing, do them parts at a time - that should help with most of the problems, and give you better overall control. I do reccommend otherwise cleaning faces up, like for 15-edged faces, stuff like that.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 26 15-07-2006 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
Also maybe try a rigid body techinique for the gears....im guessing that may work too.

So you rotate one and it just pushes the other into moving and so forth...depending on wether it suits your project..

Sometimes you eat the bear...Sometimes the bear eats you...
Either way...shit happens

https://www.fadedseoul.com
# 27 15-07-2006 , 07:26 PM
Thanks a lot guys - I will keep all of that in mind. user added image

I must admit that this project has definitely taken a back seat to other stuff that I have been doing, but I am hoping to return to it soon.

# 28 16-07-2006 , 07:21 AM
*winces* so you know, I've tried using rigid body dynamics to animate gears. You can get some prety wierd errors....
That, and the exact some algebra used for defining the animation will also tell you how big your gears need to be (and how many teeth you need). Not really worth it. Its much easier to just set up the expressions needed to animate the gears, then to have to work through the simulation (at least for this gear setup). I'd rig it so that all the animations are based off of the key's rotations - and possibly so that a certain degree rotation of the key's control moves the wheels forward 1 or 2 units or something.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 29 16-07-2006 , 02:13 PM
thanks for the info - this is all a bit above my head at the moment, but at least now i have an idea of how to go about animating this.

# 30 16-07-2006 , 05:09 PM
Really nice.