Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-02-2013 , 10:32 PM
SM Tea Boy

New Training: The dark art of mental ray

Check out the intro video here https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ay/?tut_id=307

If you find yourself rendering over and over again for hours at a time, this is the tutorial for you. In this tutorial we'll attempt to demystify mental rays render pass system paying special attention to the mia_material_x and it's outputs.

We'll also look at common uses for render layers such as ambient occlusion and depth. We'll show you how to split your image apart to achieve an almost material level control in post. We'll delve into complex masking with pass contribution maps as well as simple masks using custom color passes.

We'll achieve control of the individual lights in the scene in post saving you tons of time.

By the end of this course you should have total control of what comes out of mental ray, giving you back control and more importantly saving you time.

We will be using nuke in this course for the post production work all scene files will be included.

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ay/?tut_id=307

user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 13-02-2013 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
Looks pretty interesting. I just got myself a years PLE license of nuke so all I have to do now is get this tutorial user added image

# 3 13-02-2013 , 03:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
well if you do get it let me know what you think, good or bad (good i hope) always interesting to get some feedback

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 18-02-2013 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
Hi Dave,

Loving the "Dark Art" tutorial so far, and have learned a few crucial tidbits about gamma correction that have previously been the cause of major headaches! Thank you!

However, there do seem to be a handful of missing files from the example project; for example, the "yellow-pattern-paper.jpg" wall texture is missing as well a lightprofile (IES) file. The missing file paths are located outside of the Maya project directory and are absolute Windows filespecs. (Note that I did find some info on the Lithonia lighting photometric light profile, but haven't yet found the specific one).

Thanks so much - I'm really enjoying your teaching style and practical instruction, and would love to get a clean render here that matches the ones in your vids!

- Celia

# 5 19-02-2013 , 03:39 PM
SM Tea Boy
sorry i missed this post, i'll sort out the ies file and the wallpaper as soon as i get back to the office, glad your liking the tutorial so far

All the best
Dave

# 6 19-02-2013 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your quick response. user added image Fwiw, I was able to find both the wallpaper and IES files by googling for them. Adding them makes a vast difference (improvement) in the output! There is also a missing map file used in texturing the floor (file6 in Hypershade). That file would be nice to have, as my attempt to hack a fix in for it broke the bump map connection somehow.

Thanks again,
Celia