Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-02-2004 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber

Applying a custom ".ma" shader

I've downloaded some shaders with the ".ma" extension. And I've placed them in the Shader Library. But, I'm not sure how to apply them. I tried dragging a chrome one into the Work Area of Hypershade and applying from there, but it didn't work.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Maya rocks! :bgreen:

# 2 10-02-2004 , 07:05 PM
you need to import them into the hypershade. goto the hypershade and then file import (in that viewpane) and then browse to the shaders. They should then appear there and act like normal textures.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 10-02-2004 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
Right click in the top viewpane to import? Sorry, I'm at the "dayjob" so I don't have Maya in front of me.

# 4 10-02-2004 , 08:40 PM
Go to the hypershade click on the left bar where it says file... and select your file. Then you can use it as a texture user added image Really nothing to it :p

# 5 10-02-2004 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
Oh, really? Wow. Cool. Gosh, I love Maya. :bgreen:
Thanks, dirack.

# 6 10-02-2004 , 09:49 PM
pmed infouser added image

# 7 25-10-2004 , 07:32 AM
Is there any way for the custom shaders have their own previews (like the ones that come with Maya) instead of just the Maya logo? It would be nice to remember what the shader looks like without always importing it. Most of the custom shaders come with a preview sample (usually .jpg) but how could you apply that so preview the shader in hypershade?

Thanks.

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."
# 8 25-10-2004 , 07:37 PM
I am not sure but you might just have to use mel (maya embedded language). I use only scripts for custom buttons, because of the ease of editing. In order to get the icon, I just apply it to an object, go into the attributes editor, click the texture's tab and take a screenshot of the sample. Then I go into photoshop, then paste, crop, and resize if necessary. You could easily make them with paint to, I use .bmp's for mine. I am unsure if you can use other file formats.

# 9 25-10-2004 , 07:42 PM
So I put the .bmp with the same name as the shader in the .mayaSwatches folder?

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."
# 10 25-10-2004 , 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Lifire
So I put the .bmp with the same name as the shader in the .mayaSwatches folder?

I don't know, I have it all scripted in a weird way I think. I have a shelf script, and command scripts. Shelf script makes the shelf and buttons, and then when you click a button, it executes the command script associated with it. These are not in hypershade, they are in a custom shelf I made.