Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-02-2004 , 07:33 PM

displacement baking

anyone know a plugin for maya that will bake the details of a hi-res model into a displacement map that can be applied to the low-res version at render time?

The normal mapping thread got me into this- I think this is kind of the equivolent of that for more high-end (non realtime) application

Thanks!

user added image

# 2 29-02-2004 , 08:31 PM
I have no idea how to do that, but just the other day I was wondering how to do the oposite, so I figured I would take this oportunity to ask. How do you take the displacement map and apply it to a mesh so that you won't need the displacement map anymore and the dismplacements show in the GUI?

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 3 29-02-2004 , 08:53 PM
The Maya Mountain

# 4 01-03-2004 , 04:10 PM
Hey carrot juice, did you get normal mapping working? What tools did you use?

# 5 02-03-2004 , 06:25 AM
Clod: nope, never tried. It just reminded me of this

Mike: Thanks very much!