Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-10-2004 , 08:52 PM

Getting Rid of Faceted Edges?

I have this Illustrator 3 file that I imported and then added knots to get rid of any faceting before using the Bevel Plus tool (nurbs). The hulls are pretty much flush with the curves at this point yet I'm still getting faceting and like little gaps between the facets and the extruded inner edge. does anybody have any ideas as to how to smooth this out?

# 2 20-10-2004 , 09:48 PM
While it's in NURBS, try upping the tesselation values in the attribute editor to like 15 or so and see if that helps with the faceting. The "broken seam" problem seems to happen alot with NURBS modeling....to fix I usually convert to poly and start splitting and merging vertices (making sure that the two surfaces have matching vertices or edges). If you want to keep in NURBS, then I'm not quite sure what else to tell you.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 20-10-2004 , 10:36 PM
Thanks Nitro. Just using Polys and tweaking the Sampling controls in The Bevel Plus tool worked perfectly.