Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-01-2005 , 02:49 PM

Maya Crashing :(

:bored: It seems that maya is crashing after i work in it for a while, between an half an hour and hour or so suddenly it becomes really slow, sometimes i can save my files sometimes not..

My CPU seems to shoot to 100% also.

My hardware is:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
1024 MB DDR
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro

Software:

Win XP sp2
Maya 6

does anybody know what the problem could be user added image

# 2 23-01-2005 , 02:54 AM

pixelsoul wrote:
does anybody know what the problem could be

WinXP. user added image

It sounds to me like you have a TSR program that is taking up resources. A TSR is a Terminate and Stay Resident program that loads when you boot up and stays running in the background. Go into your START MENU and turn off any programs that you don't use or are running. Also, you might want to run a good virus scan. Some virii are made specifically to do what you say is happening so make sure you're clean.

On a more-or-less technical approch, make sure that your CPU and graphics card fan are working properly. Overheating in any of these areas can have the same results.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 23-01-2005 , 09:24 AM
Well I don't have any virus.. I have Norton 2005, and ZoneAlarm as Firewall and the new MS AnitSpyware.. ALso it only happens with Maya other programs don't have this problem? user added image

# 4 23-01-2005 , 10:43 AM
I'm running close to your specs and I too have a similar problem. I'll be working for about a couple of hours then things will slow down. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. My only guess would be then that there are things running in the background that are taking up resources and taxing the RAM. I usually just quit Maya then re-open it and it's fine again.

Also, check the number of the UNDOs set it Maya. I usually only keep around 20-50. If they are set high then Maya could be the problem. It's working to save all that information so that you can go back and undo it. Try lowering the Undo state to a lower number and see if that helps.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 5 23-01-2005 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
Sounds to me like you have eaten up all the Virtual memory Windows has assigned. Depending on your virtual memory settings, Windows can automatically try and increase it, which results in your applications hanging for ages whilst it tries to sort it out.

You have 1 gig Ram which is decent enough, Try increasing the size of the Virtual memory, rather than letting windows manage it.. See if it helps any (Of course you will need the empty space on your hard disk to allow the increase)

# 6 23-01-2005 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
another thing you might consider could be your graphic card drivers I think, especially with ati cards. maybe try some other drivers if U find. I had a similar problem with an ati 9800. with nvidia 6800gt and same settings in maya a have a stable system right now...

# 7 23-01-2005 , 03:37 PM
Well my virtual memory is min 786mb / Max 1536mb should be plenty...

Think also that it has to do something with video drivers.. will try to find a new one.

Also installed 6.0.1 Update but it did not help user added image

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

New drivers seem to be working user added image

Last edited by pixelsoul; 24-01-2005 at 04:58 PM.
# 8 25-01-2005 , 05:24 AM
Subscriber
Another thing to consider is History. Much like undo, the program must "remember" all the changes downstream and how they affect the scene upstream. Whenever you get a point were your models are "finished" delete the history on that item.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."