Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-06-2005 , 10:09 PM
Subscriber

First attempt at a head (alien), having face/surface/extrude face problems

Hey, it's me again user added image

I'm having problems getting this right. I'm trying to make a mouth, but when I work on one side and section of faces, the opposite side is distorted, pulled in, etc. What am I doing wrong? I'm just selecting faces, extruding, etc. trying to make a mouth.

Attached Images
# 2 21-06-2005 , 10:56 PM
My best guess is that your model has Vertex Backface Culling turned on so that when you pull verts on one side, the other side isn't going evenly. Try turning that off and see if it helps.

# 3 22-06-2005 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
. . . And where by chance would that option be? user added image user added image

# 4 22-06-2005 , 01:22 AM
In the attribute editor

# 5 22-06-2005 , 05:53 AM
Go to: Display--> Custom Polygon Display (click on that little box to the right)

At the bottom you have Backface Culling pull down. Make sure Backface Culling is ON. This will allow you to select only components that are facing the camera. Anything "behind" what you see in the camera will be ignored.

To turn it off...go back to the pull down and pick OFF