Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 28-07-2005 , 02:26 PM
okay while checking through www.mtmckinley.net I found the ridgid binding with flexors tutorial and tried that technique out, it worked and now I only have some minor planing and trial and error work to do until my bear will be fully poseable... thanks for the great tut! user added image

# 47 29-07-2005 , 11:35 AM

The arm..

My first look at this thread, and I must say... Great work.

Although it probably won't affect your finished work i can tell you what was wrong with your arm... it was too fat at the elbow end, make it skinnyer down there and should look fine.

Can't wait for a new post showing the final or close to final product!

# 48 30-07-2005 , 05:23 AM
Now I've actually started to make the final scene, adding all the different parts I've finished so far.

here's a sneek peek

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 02-08-2005 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber
awesome, like the idea of the torn arm, very original

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 50 03-08-2005 , 07:16 AM
thanks, i like it too, adds a bit of explanation to the image I think... when it's done ofcourse...

A little update then maybe.

Well I haven't been able to render more tests since my mental ray gone and went nuts, so I have currently uninstallled maya and am about to reinstall it now, hoping that will be enough to save the scene, otherwise i'll have to do it all over again which is a pain in the butt

# 51 03-08-2005 , 07:19 AM
I like your scene and idea so far.

Keep up the good work!

# 52 03-08-2005 , 07:22 AM
What is mental ray doing? I was having some problems with mental ray to, but I fix it, thank God!

Oh I was getting white spots in my scene, it was driving me crazy for 3 days! But I had to fix the textures in places.

# 53 04-08-2005 , 05:49 AM
well, when I render through the renderview it pretty much only finnishes the Final gather preview stage, you know when it's all blocky and stuff, and when it should keep working and put out a nice real image, Mr crashes, might be that my computer is a little bit to weak to render this image in 1280x96 with AA of min 4 max 8.

So, I try to batch render, well the batchrender goes through it all, 1½ hours total, and when It's done, I'm left with a 128byte .tga which, as you probably guessed, won't open, it's corrupt...

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it didn't help, same problem, only now, mr actually autoloads when I start maya (it didn't always do that before).

I've checked the renderlog (10 mb) for errors, but I couldn't see any that would tell me why my batch render doesn't work, I'm going to create a new renderlog and render through the renderview today and see if the renderlog tells me why it crashes...

# 54 04-08-2005 , 08:17 AM
are you using low samples :4 and max of 8 user added image

dude people never exceed 1/3 if it still gives you noise lower the contrast don't increase the sampling this is overkill

and when you do batch render close maya open mr->image directory and open img_dis.exe (you will find it in maya ->bin)
and dray the image on the programme you will see the progress.

and don't increase the FG rays to crazy number specially in maya 6+..

hope that helps a bit.

# 55 04-08-2005 , 01:07 PM
Okay I tried lowering the AA settings to 1/3 and it seems that it worked, my settings were probably too high for my poor ol' cpu to handle user added image

thank you for the help msb :attn:

Last edited by baheno; 04-08-2005 at 01:14 PM.
# 56 04-08-2005 , 06:46 PM
Originally posted by msb

and when you do batch render close maya open mr->image directory and open img_dis.exe (you will find it in maya ->bin)

explain for i man.

the prepared shall inherit the future
# 57 04-08-2005 , 07:16 PM

Originally posted by cyclad
Originally posted by msb

explain for i man.

i meant

go to your project directory
then

mental ray -> image

you will find your image is being rendered there

the img_disp.exe

is a utility actually very nice one

you will find it in maya directory in the programme file
means

X:\programme files ->aliaswavefront->maya X.X ->bin

there you will find img_disp.exe

copy the programme to ur desktop then open it and drag the image that bieng rendered over it.
you will see the image and you can watch it.

that's it.

# 58 04-08-2005 , 07:32 PM
cool but let me ask you. why dont the default renderers come with active preview in the gui? i mean most of the other progs i use have active renderer. or is alias just "special"

the prepared shall inherit the future
# 59 12-08-2005 , 06:33 AM
Okay, no update for a week, soo what to say now? Well I can say that I ditched the hand since I coulsdn't get it to fit in properly so I've decided on a little different idea... concept comming soon user added image

# 60 12-08-2005 , 06:54 AM
ok, here's the new concept.

1 moving the bear to the corner
2 building some walls andstuff from lego
3 adding a team of lego men (color not decided)
4 adding a second team (color not decided)

story:

The lego people had lived in peace with all the other toys in the chest, but one day all hell broke loose, now all the toys in the chest live in fear of the wretched war between two sorts of lego warriors, the hatred between the two opposing factions taints the whole chest, no toy is left in peace.

Attached Thumbnails