Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-09-2005 , 06:51 AM

Mental Ray help please.

Hi, everyone. I'm starting to learn Mental Ray, and I ran into this problem while trying out a "simple" GI scene.

user added image

My curtains seem to be glowing for some reason. Any help would be much appreciated. :headbang:

# 2 01-10-2005 , 04:31 PM
these are photons bouncing back , absorbing colour information probaly the reason why it has a blue-ish glow.

u have to let the photons through the curtain , the curtains (actual geometry) is bouncing the photons causing indirect illumination.

thats all i know.

tck
# 3 01-10-2005 , 04:36 PM
btw what kind of lightsource do u use?

Mental ray area lights?

Do these lightsource emit photons?

tck
# 4 02-10-2005 , 12:44 PM
Thanks, herr_klaus. For this scene I'm using a spotlight actually, and yes it is emitting Global Illumination Photons.

I suppose I could pull the curtains a bit further apart to let the photons in. Or make the curtains a bit transparent.

And while I'm asking, anyone have any workflow tips on MAYA Mental Ray GI? Thaks

# 5 05-10-2005 , 11:19 AM
i can't remember how i bypassed this problem.
I had this problem before but very long time ago.

tips ?

always use a sealed compartment don't let photons escape.

tck