Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-09-2005 , 06:21 PM

hobbes

all right. i've been surfing these pages for some time now; judging and critting other people's work...now is my turn to give others a chance to criticize my work.
this is the model of Hobbes (from Calvin and Hobbes) the way i see him.
i am going to rig him next. and that's what my chief interest is.

Attached Images
# 2 11-09-2005 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber
he is looking good from this view.
i cannot see too much to comment on. post more views and wires. looks like a cool character to anim8user added image

# 3 11-09-2005 , 08:13 PM
i like that you like.
here's a wireframe before i go to sleep

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-09-2005 , 10:58 PM
O-M-G.......
THis is my favorite strip of all time. Why didn't I think of this????? Anyway, looks good. Clean mesh. One crit though, hobbes' belly looks a little ponchy. If I remember hobbes is an agile hunter, alway stalking a fresh can of tuna... LOL. I can't wait to see this rigged and animated, please post a short if you can!

Double;
Cheers, Cheers,
Penguin

# 5 12-09-2005 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Well done!
I love it, I kind find anything to crit man. Your wireframe is great. I would like to know how you did the uv mapping though, maybe you could post, or send me your uv map to check out. That would be good, uv mapping is my biggest weakness.

Keep up that great work, i will check back often
user added image

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 6 12-09-2005 , 06:58 AM
thanks Penguin.steel, it is my favorite strip as well. that's why i decided to use the characters. look at my avatar on the left. that's Calvin. i made him first.
heh, actually i made him more lean at first, but then added the paunch a little later...
hey thanks antiant. i didn't do UV mapping on him though. i just selected the faces, and applied simple lambert material. i am quite lazy when it comes to textures...:p

# 7 12-09-2005 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
lol
no way, if you can get away without having to do it, all the better user added image

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 8 20-09-2005 , 10:47 AM
its been some time. i have been working on blendshapes. as always, didn't have the foresight to sort out everything. so i had to model the expressions twice. but, they look better the second time anyway. so, i guess shouldn't complain...
hope you like these...

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 21-09-2005 , 05:08 AM
Utpal

Looking good, buddy! Calvin and Hobbes are one of my favorites. Its cool to see that they are popular in India too.

Dave

# 10 23-09-2005 , 01:35 PM
yeah, dave. the cleverest comic strip ever! the first thing i read in the morning, with my coffee.
thanks for your input, man.

# 11 24-09-2005 , 05:27 AM
ok guys, i am in a real jam here. i did my modeling for hobbes with polysmooth proxy. then, before creating blendshapes, i deleted the connection between the proxy mesh and the smooth mesh.
now, after reading some posts by Jay i realized that maybe, i could have used the proxy mesh as the geometry to be bound to the joints, rather than binding the smooth mesh. but, my problem as i told you, is that i have already broken the connection betweent the meshes. i checked whether the attributes are connectable directly in the connection editor, but it seems that i can't. is there any way of making the connection once again? i have made a few changes to the shape of the smooth mesh, but have not increased the number of vertices. i still have the proxy mesh.
some help, guys???user added image