Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 241 22-03-2006 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
wohooo master jay is back... yeah ..i enjoy your work and the progress on projects ... thanks for staying

# 242 22-03-2006 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
glad your not leaving but i might head back to my foundation book, all very humbling here at SM, not the people but the work, it is very good standard, but I saw you've done this for many years so I will plug away at it.

I would like to know more about preperation, planning ahead, you should do a DVD about that.

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 243 22-03-2006 , 11:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Update of the hair, its been changed from the one on my blog which had a longer pony tail, The shorter version is better, it looks tougher

_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 244 22-03-2006 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
quite I beautiful looking girl. Tough?? nice!

# 245 22-03-2006 , 11:17 PM
Yeah its a good idea though I honestly dont think a dvd, perhaps a one off chapter or something, for me prep is usually a sketch or a few on paper then once the design is nailed then I'll do something similar of the mesh/wire itself on paper, layout where deformations etc will occur, be them for facial expressions or clothing (elbows, knees etc). Perhaps once the texture dvd is done...as Im adding a couple of lessons to the beginning of that, almost like a practical theory of texture methods...

Jay

# 246 22-03-2006 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
keep us posted on that. I lack confidence because I'm scared anything i make will fall down in render, the times will be shocking and may not render at all, but that's another thread...

I'd buy the DVD so post it when it's ready, very appreciative.

i'll be watching your girl...user added image

# 247 22-03-2006 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
looking good.
shes got a bit more character now with the hair.

more angles would be nice.

i still have a "thing" witht he nostrils.

keep it up.

# 248 23-03-2006 , 07:40 AM
Wow man really nice work on the female!

The hair really brings her to life:p

Keep it up.

# 249 23-03-2006 , 09:00 AM
Thanks guys

Vlad: A 'thing' with the nostrils? Could you be more specific please. I think I know exactly where you are looking...but point me there and we'll see...

I'll thro' in some angles later

Cheers
Jay

# 250 23-03-2006 , 10:02 AM
Looking cool Jay, can't wait to see the other angles

# 251 23-03-2006 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
i think its the area right above the nostrils that is sinking in a little too much. so the nostrils look really flared out and a bit harsh.
im posting some pics that shows smooth transition from bridge of the nose to the nostrils and the average placement for the nostrils.
---

but i know u are probably working form orthographic refs, which is my biggest issue with them, is that thtey only give one perspective, and very linear representation. whereas perspective or overhead refs give better curves and show more movement on the figure.

good stuff nonetheless.

Attached Images

Last edited by vladimirjp; 23-03-2006 at 02:09 PM.
# 252 23-03-2006 , 02:26 PM
One of the little tricks I have discovered for removing creases is the "average vertices" command. You would need to first combine the right and left side, then it takes a little bit of guessing as far as which verticies to select to get the right effect, but it can save you a lot of time. Usually in this particular situation, I would choose the vertices only in the general vicinity of the seam, then average then and see what the effect is. It is somewhat tricky to get exactly what you want in each particular area, so it may work well in some areas and not in others. In an area like the nose you might need to re-edit the position and then average vertices again, but it is a good method that beats trying to manually get rid of a crease!

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 253 23-03-2006 , 03:16 PM
Thanks Skywola,

Vlad yeah you're right, I was looking there too, and last night in fact I still wanna tinker with the nose area as a whole

The 'sketch' reference you have given is interesting, - the lines on the cheek behind the nose, this 'line' is more likely to touch/line up the back of the nostril, edge of the mouth and front of the forehead. The person in the pic looks a little afro carribean so maybe thats the difference...

Cheers
Jay

# 254 23-03-2006 , 11:19 PM
Vlad

As thought...

The offending vert was directly behind the nostril on the cheek, bit of pulling rearranged the surrounding verts to suit, done...

Onto clothing...

Cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 255 24-03-2006 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
Really coming along nicely there mate. When do you think you will get onto the texturing?

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog