Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 286 04-04-2006 , 10:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nope no cloth, its a subd surface

Jay

# 287 04-04-2006 , 12:08 PM
Cool, are you planning to use cloth for her Cape to get good movement?

# 288 04-04-2006 , 12:34 PM
No, same again, it will be a subd, with either a sdk'd rig or possible blend shapes. Its not for animation anyhow.

Lastly Im using Maya Complete, once Ive done enough freelance work to justify the spending of that then I'll be looking at either the syflex cloth plugin and also Shave and Haircut for hair/fur. they have more control than Maya's own right now and are cheaper.

Cheers
Jay

# 289 04-04-2006 , 01:11 PM
Cool, just thought that you might be animating.

Nice going man, cant wait to see some more updates.

# 290 08-04-2006 , 03:53 PM
Update:

Top is complete with UVs all done. Have extracted the legging/trousers from the main mesh of the girl for an exact fit, lots to do on those now.

On a last note I hope people who have crit this model for missing detail are now aware why I havent put that in - it wont be seen, basically:bandit:

_J

user added image

# 291 08-04-2006 , 05:20 PM
I still can't believe you remodeled this entire character, Jay. I know why you did it but damn! You are a madman!!!

I hope this doesn't sound too creepy, but she looks really hot! I love women with blocky kneesuser added image ...j/k ...

Dave

# 292 08-04-2006 , 05:55 PM
Hehe hey Dave

Those knees LOL....

I know Im nuts but, its just got to be right. I've looked at her myself and thought the same actually...

Jay

# 293 08-04-2006 , 06:29 PM
wow, thats one hot polygon user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 294 08-04-2006 , 10:08 PM
Another, the legging/trousers will resemble horse riding Jodhpurs.
I may lower the creases to a more central position down the legs

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 295 08-04-2006 , 10:57 PM
i like that view of heruser added image

really nice so far!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 296 09-04-2006 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
running the same ground, I get confused with what I want, expect and am brainwashed by media with, as to what shape a woman really is. You have captured all the 'imperfections' of reality and not what we want, like the slight bulge at the thighs you have put there, we don't want that, the legs are a little thin in places, we don't want that.., but they are correct in dimensionand in the context of reality, but the realism of the breasts, the way they fall (is that the word) rather than pamela Anderson's breasts that stick out like fruit bowls, is sexy because it is so real. (not Pam's, your model, silicon is not a good look) What is weirder is some women are so brainwashed by the same media they want to fill themselves with plastic to look like an airbrushed doll?? THAT is werid!

I have to admit that is one sexy model you've made, I think I'm falling in love??. Does this mean in ten years we will all be going down the same weird path as Japan, dolls and interactive girlfriends?? Joking boys, joking..

:blush:

take it easy and life will be easy
# 297 09-04-2006 , 10:03 AM
Thankyou guys, will post again later.

a brief word the side of modeling girls/women in particular - I would recommend looking at Steven Stahlbergs stuff. He has basically pioneered the cg girl and although alot of his girls look similar in facial design he really is THE Master of his art. His technique of modelling a little unorthodox (IMO) but it works very well at the end of the day.
I've admired his work and others to get thus far, by this I dont mean I copy but just by studying in general to create my own method of work purely from box modelling. I really suggest to all of you into character modelling to look around at other guys work too, see the techniques and references etc as I've found that a few of the guys Ive spoken to here have never heard of alot of the CG and 3d sites.

Also Francisco Cortina is just awsome too, check them both out.

Cheers til later

Jay

# 298 09-04-2006 , 04:29 PM
Here we go...

Lowered the rear panel crease and have started to add subtle creasing around the knee area as the boots will cause some sort of compressing on the material there

Jay

user added image

# 299 09-04-2006 , 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Jay
I would recommend looking at Steven Stahlbergs stuff. He has basically pioneered the cg girl and although alot of his girls look similar in facial design he really is THE Master of his art.

I don't know - Really? I had a look at his site and while it is obvious that he is competent, I didn't really think much of his ideas. Oh look! - a pre pubescent girl with a dragon. And there is yet another girl in some futuristic get up with her legs spread looking coy. Or how about a 50 ft woman terrorising some leather clad guy on a bike? It just all seems a little cliche - a bit teenage boy wet dream. All of the girls look the same and have the same body type and are white (except two). Don't get me wrong, I am not against doing stuff like that and of course I am sure it sells and as I said, he seems pretty good at it, and trust me I couldn't model a sphere to save my butt, but... I don't know, it doesn't exactly blow me away.

# 300 09-04-2006 , 08:24 PM
As I said he pioneered the cg girl, his stuff is excellent, though as you say about prepubescent girls - arent my cup of tea either. He's been at the front of cg characters since the days of Alias Power Animator. I also said the 'girls do look the same' - but technically they arent. His work is always worth following up regardless of opinions of his work. I think his best work to date is from The Need For Speed Game, he did the hi res girls for that. Just excellent. Generally his stuff doesnt blow me away either but overall the work is good and its consistent.

Its better than my stuff anyway...

Jay