Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 91 04-05-2006 , 10:08 AM
The bag looks too light, almost like its floating down rather than having some weight.
Other than that its looking cool user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 92 08-05-2006 , 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the kind words as i now have a new wireless card and better access to the net i thought i'd post some updates

Neostrider - Yes i'm a lot happier with the bag movement now, thanks for the advice.

vin209 - Thank you for the comments on my website, got the results back this afternoon and i got a first :attn: I would love to add particle/dust effects unfortunately with the current deadline being moved forward (25th May) i'm not going to have time to add them which is a shame. Also because of the deadline i'm not going to be able to fully realise the film, but have decided on a suitable cut off point and hopefully finish the film after the assessment

I have a few sections rendered but i do not want to show them yet until they are in chronological order, so you'll have to wait for those user added image

For now, here are some promotional images for my degree show 'menu' if you will

user added image

user added image

also here is an early test of the logo animation, i want to get a light flickering across, i'm using a spotlight at the moment with shutter doors, but it's a bit wide, any tips would be appreciated.

video link

large versions of the publicity stills can be viewed here and here

# 93 08-05-2006 , 06:54 PM
i take it you're using another light besides the spotlight for the regular ambience, correct? if that's so, then another thing you could try is lose the shutter doors on the spotlight and use two (grouped) animated planes that are really close together... that would also give you an ever-so-slight offset of placement of the light on each object, and you can always alter their distance from each other pretty easily without screwing up the animation.

Accept no substitutions.
# 94 08-05-2006 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
this would probably be better accomplished in after effects then maya. its quite easy to setup and execute and will give you a much better result.

if you have access to AE and need any help i would be glad to assist you with a basic setup.

# 95 17-05-2006 , 07:08 PM
thanks for the ideas guys, sorry i didn't post a reply any sooner, i've just recovered from a 30 hour session of report writing :zzz:

One week is left user added image

Basically i've ruled out all possibilities of finishing the film in it's entirety, though i'm hoping to get 2 and a half minutes done along with sound effects.

At the moment i have 1 minute 45 seconds of finished rendered animation with another 16 seconds currently rendering. These are some of the finalised shots (oh and thanks for the offer Anm80r, unfortunately i'm using fusion for the post work, just switched over this year from shake 2.5)

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 96 17-05-2006 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
hey are you going to make it into a movie?

# 97 17-05-2006 , 07:33 PM

Originally posted by starjsjswars
hey are you going to make it into a movie?

pretty obvious i think..

# 98 17-05-2006 , 10:02 PM
hehe, cool screens. :attn: Cant wait to watch the movie user added image keep it up, you're doing great.

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 99 17-05-2006 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
Hey what are you using to render this project. It looks real good, I have no crits what so ever

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 100 19-05-2006 , 06:34 PM
Thanks guys

I'm rendering the shots using Maya software with default raytracing settings. I would have liked to have used mental ray but given the time constraints that would have been impossible. It still takes plenty of time to render though, the last shot I rendered was 16.5 seconds long and it took a solid 36 hours to render.

# 101 19-05-2006 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
36 hrs OMG what are you specs on pc /laptop ?

# 102 19-05-2006 , 06:47 PM
I'm working on a desktop at the moment,

ASUS AMD XP 3200
2gb DDR Ram
256mb ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
120Gb Hard drive

A little dated now but it does the job

# 103 19-05-2006 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
wow my jaw just dropped ...looks like great specs ...but 36 hrs ..geeez ..i would pull my hair out

alittle dated ? geeez and what would make the time go by quicker ..afraid to see price on that puppy

# 104 19-05-2006 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
since your not going to finish the movie for the project, are you going to finish it for fun????

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 105 20-05-2006 , 11:23 PM
Great work Rostoons - those screen shots look cool. I really like the amount of detail that you have put in. I'm looking forward to seeing the animation.

Hope everything is going well.

user added image