Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-04-2006 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber

Bedroom in Mental Ray

Hi, im reletively new to maya and this is my first attempt at rendering in mental ray using Global Illumination and Final Gather

As you will see from the render im having a few problems! :headbang:

Any Suggestions as to how i can stop the graining in the image, particularly on the walls. Currently I am getting better results using Maya Software then mental ray renders which take far longer to complete!

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-04-2006 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
Here is another image with the curtains open and lights off

Looks a bit more like bright sunlight but how do i stop light leeking around the curtains in such a way without actually attaching them to the walls?

Thanks

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 29-04-2006 , 06:45 PM
Nice work. sorry I can't help you with the problems you are having with lighting. One thing that looks a little odd to me is the perspective in the scene outside your window compared to the perspective in your room - it just looks a little off at the moment - I might lower the outside image a little.

# 4 29-04-2006 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
Thanks arron,

I see exactly what you mean yeah! thanks

That problem is now fixed! user added image

Steve

# 5 29-04-2006 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
ahhh the tricks of lighting to make something look right.

while i am not the best at lighting and rendering, my first guess would be your lighting setup.

what lights are attached to what objects, and what types of lights are you using. . .etc.

# 6 29-04-2006 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
The scene with the lights on uses 2 point lights with the area light option turned on and a sphere shape about the size of the bulb.

each one emitting about 100000 photons

The other scene has 3 point lights accross the window, each with an area light of a rectangle shape roughly the width of the window. The highest of the 3 lights with a slightly higher intensity to the others.

I wasnt sure which type of light to use but found point lights had the most mental ray options to play with!

Steve

# 7 30-04-2006 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
have u learned light linking?

after you have explained your setup, its still my guess that is whats wrong with the scene.

in maya, you have the ability to assign lights to certain objects. again i am guessing, but it appears as tho all your lights are lighting all your objects. which is why you are getting that glow from inside your curtains.

select one of your lights and and then from the lighting menu select "select all objects attached to this light". if your curtains become selected, then deselect everything and select the "outdoor" lights and the curtain (select only one light at a time), return to the lighting menu and select "break light links". repeat this until you have changed your lighting so the outside affects the outside objects and not the interior objects.

you will then of course probably have to use additional lights and light links to finish your scene so it is properly lit.

as far as choosing which lights to use. . .i am still guessing myself. i almost always am using spot lights, but that is just because of what i am familiar with in the real world. i also like to use directional light when lighting for outdoors.

my suggestion would be to find a good lighting tutorial, so that you understand the difference between all the lights. as well, there are MR tutorials that will help. good luck!