Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 04-06-2006 , 12:38 AM
Wow, looks like I have started a flame war. By no means have I mastered Mental Ray. And, once you become fairly faniliar with what each setting does- you only have to do a minimal amount of tweaking. Personally, I think that I am OK with Mental Ray (no where near where you guys are). I think that the reason that I am so obsessed with Indigo, even if it's speed/quality ratios are low, is because Indigo is physically correct. Also, this is influenced by all of the papers onb rendering algorithms I read and that I continue reading, because my ambition is to write a spectral renderer.

Also I think (though odds are that I am wrong) that you are actually going and criticizing my methods because, to you, I am probably no more than a kid spamming a professional forum. So, from the pros who themselves tell people that (when the 3ds Msx vs. Maya issue arises) that it is the actual product and not the means by which it is created, that matters. Yet, here are a few of the professional board members who are smashing my work (minus kbrown and possibly Jay, and not saying this out of lack of respect for you guys, to me you guys are my 3d idols) just because I refuse to use the norm and I use Indigo instead.

And there are the lighting challenges on cgtalk, probably I will join the next one.

Just my thoughts on the matter. And if I am just a spammer on these pro boards, by all means, ban me!

Please tell me where I am going wrong!

-Matt

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 17 04-06-2006 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
I think it's great that you don't have to rely on mental ray. The use of multiple programs is only going to give you greater experience and a deeper insight into the working of the render.

# 18 04-06-2006 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
hi Matt

I think were you are going wrong is to get so offended. Not anyone (I think) refers to you as just some kid. You've done some great stuff from what I've seen. And writing your own raytracer etc. are anything but spamming a forum with crap.
And I don't think anyone smashed your work. If you refer to what pure morning said, asking why you use indigo, if results can be faster and probably better using something else is not smashing anyones work but just a valid question.
I don't think any of the professional or unprofessional members cares if you use indigo, maya or you make a drawing. If you want to wait 16 hours or 1 is entirely up to you. And if your argument is that you like it because of the physical correctnes, that's valid also.
Nobody wants to ban you, and if, they would be well stupid. Personally I think it's great what you are doing and I think most people respect your work.
Learning maya, max and whatever is one thing, but learning how to cope with other peoples crits and thoughts can take a long time and a lot of experince. And to have those criticism feeding into your work in a positive way is a skill, probably more important than knowing how to use sofware, write code or driving a car.

thats me

good luckuser added image

# 19 04-06-2006 , 09:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
MAtt

First, please calm, banning is not an issue.

Also its a forum so, people opinions are going to differ alot. At the end of the day they are just words to a faceless name /avatar.

Dont be offended, people will always have an opinion on what they think you should be doing. Its like Maya vs Max vs Lightwave vs C4D vs blah, they all have their strengths and weekness's some more than others...

But a note to ALL: ITS NOT THE SOFTWARE THAT COUNTS, ITS HOW YOU USE IT, that is the underlying factor and all should heed this.

But a render challenge area would be cool here in my opinion...
Carry on...

Jay

# 20 04-06-2006 , 01:19 PM
Yeah, sorry guys I feal a bit immature now, flaring up like that. Apologies to everyone.

-Matt:blush:

# 21 04-06-2006 , 04:26 PM
yeah matt,
you have some of my favorite work here on this site! and i personally have great faith in Indigo!
GO MATT!!!!:attn: :attn:
cheersuser added image ,
andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 22 04-06-2006 , 04:30 PM
Thanks, joop. You're flattering me :blush:

-Matt

# 23 04-06-2006 , 10:28 PM
BUT, in the link to your portfolio, you spelled portfolio wrong, lol
-andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 24 06-06-2006 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
woh nice, I couldn't tell if it was a photo or work.lol

# 25 06-06-2006 , 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Joopson
BUT, in the link to your portfolio, you spelled portfolio wrong, lol
-andy

:lmao: haha oh well, can't change it now :lmao:

Originally posted by Ahnslaught
woh nice, I couldn't tell if it was a photo or work.lol

Thanks user added image

# 26 07-06-2006 , 08:40 PM
the Glasses look really cool. Nice work man.

# 27 13-09-2006 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
hahaha great work matt you legend!