Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 11-07-2006 , 10:01 PM
how exaclty do u use it is there a turorial??

Last edited by Furry Fury; 11-07-2006 at 10:12 PM.
# 17 12-07-2006 , 01:33 AM
After you click the creature you need to animate, for example, the quadraped, it will create the skeleton for you; after that all you need to do is skin the character, you will most likely need to use the controls to scale the character bones, and you may need to manipulate them manually to fit the skeleton. After everything is ready, if it is a biped, or quadraped, you need to hit the "stabilization" button.

Then hit play. After you hit play, it will walk automatically. You can change the gait by hitting buttons that control it.

If you just want to see what it does before you skin the character, just hit the control to create the skeleton and then hit the play button.

Most of the controls on the window that appears are quite intuitive. If you are doing a biped, there is a button that you need to hit that will allow you to open the hand all at once or control the individual fingers in the hand.

You may need to expirement a little to get the results that you want, but the big advantage with this program is that if the skinning does not work quite right, all you have to do is hit the rewind button, and the character will be re-posed, unskin the character, change what needs to be changed and then re-skin it again . . . . you can't do that so easily with the standard animation methods.

As far as the tutorial goes, it is something that I work on based on the questions I am asked, so it gradually grows bigger, and it is all in the installation file. I will be adding this question and answer to the file. I also added your earlier questions to it, and they will be released with the final version that I will be releasing once the owners of this website update the download section.

To see it "walk", you need to set the forward speed to something other than zero!

Let me know if you have further questions . . . user added image

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by skywola; 12-07-2006 at 02:29 AM.
# 18 12-07-2006 , 04:52 AM
is there any way to se how it moves before i attach skin?

# 19 12-07-2006 , 05:57 AM
Yes . . . first, in the window, make sure that there is a speed other than zero. For a walk, generally you want to set it at or around the value of 1.2 (That appears right to me) A value of one is a little to slow. See below, but set it to 1.2.

Attached Thumbnails

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by skywola; 12-07-2006 at 06:14 AM.
# 20 12-07-2006 , 06:00 AM
After you do that, just hit the "play" button.

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 12-07-2006 , 06:04 AM
By the looks of this, I am inclined to set the defaults automatically
on the gait changes for the final version of this program, that will make it easier for everyone. The reason I set it initially to zero speed is because it makes it easy to see the different gaits rapidly, but in this case I think it would be easier for users to get things going faster if the speed for each gait was already set, then if they want to modify that, they can still do it, so instead of having the speed at zero for each gait, it will be set already when the skeleton appears . . . .

Last edited by skywola; 12-07-2006 at 06:33 AM.
# 22 12-07-2006 , 10:25 PM
yeah a tutorial is really what we need, cause there is no way im going to figure this out by myself... how far are u on it? ill just try to mess around till u get it ready

# 23 13-07-2006 , 02:34 AM
Here is a copy of the latest version of the program, you can download it, then just over-write all of the older files from the previous download. That will make all of the creatures ready to go by just hitting the play button. (If you think the the speed setting is not quite right, you can still modify it).

As far as the tutorial goes, I have included the latest version with this zip file, but you will not see much new in it, as I have so far been working on it based on question that people ask regarding how to do particular things.

Attached Files
File Type: zip walkerman version 1.3.zip (234.8 KB, 195 views)

# 24 13-07-2006 , 02:36 AM
I will give you a little more info on the skinning process, and hopefully that will be helpful. Just let me know if you have other questions . . .

When you start things up, you most likely will have a situation like this photo, where the size is incorrect. Easy solution is to click the buttons to re-size the skeleton until you get it close to the size you need:

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 13-07-2006 , 02:42 AM
Once you have the size approximately correct, you have to line the bones up correctly, in both the sideview and the front view.

Once you have the size approximately correct, you have to line the bones up correctly, in both the sideview and the front view.

Note: I did add two joints in to help stabilize the skin in the area in front and in back of the front legs. You will most likely need to do this too.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by skywola; 13-07-2006 at 02:46 AM.
# 26 13-07-2006 , 02:45 AM
no wehat i want is a tutorial on how to change the way it moves you have all these #'s u can change i want to know what each one does and how to use them

# 27 13-07-2006 , 02:53 AM
best way yo do that is set the speed to zero, click the "play" button on the lower right, and then play with the sliders . . . you will see the result of whatever you try . . . for example, if you change the initial Y Position, the position of the quadraped will change in the +Y or -Y direction. If you change the Bounce, the character will bounce more.

You do not need to skin the character to find out what things are, all you have to do is set the speed to zero and then just play around with the settings . . . you will see directly what they do, and it will not hurt anything to play with the settings. If the settings get so far out of wack that things are all screwed up, all you have to do is click the "D" button and the setting will be returned to the original setting.

By the way, if you want to know what those buttons do, all you have to do is hold your mouse over them, and a tool tip will tell you.

# 28 13-07-2006 , 03:02 AM
umm in your new version u didnt include the text file that etll u how to do stuff

# 29 13-07-2006 , 03:23 AM
Yikes, the file is to big to post here . . . I only slept about 3.5 hours last night, so I am going to have to get some sleep before I do more on this . . . . I may need to post it to a link where it will download well from, rather than here . . . . I will post back on here once I have solved the issue. The install file contains ALL that was in the old version that you have, and then just the answers I posted to questions you asked, nothing more . . . as I mentioned the tutorial is an ongoing thing, I just finished doing most of the coding recently . . .

# 30 13-07-2006 , 04:54 PM
i don't pretend to be an expert on horses, but it think you gallop animation is a bit off