Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 05-10-2006 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
yea, and call me an Alias loyalist, well I do my best on my budget but I find it strange I am now getting adds for 3Dmax via my Maya connection to Auto desk. I even head a rumor that Maya 9 is not far away, and where does that put Matt and his uni?? Up a river with a small canoe.

Auto Desk has broken all promises I have head of, it is very Max like I hear from the people that can use that app, I am still trying to learn this one, but I dint like the way, once you put on 8 there is sort of no turning back without unnstallation ect. I mean auto desk takes over the whole computer, even 7 icons are all changed from the black Maya ones I trust in my 'scenes' folder to the red ones from auto desk reminding me what I am dealing with and who.

I'll say my feelings out loud, it was a take over, so there, I said it and maya will cease to exist, why else would Auto-desk buy it. Once its gone the world's theirs and thats big money, except there are other avenues as Jay has pionted out.

They (them, Auto desk) care little for us as Matt's box of cheap DVD (singular) has spoken right out loud.

has anyone else heard this maya 9 rumour?? I thought i saw it proudly displayed as if it was agreat thing to happen on the Auto-desk site but i can't find it now.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 05-10-2006 , 01:45 PM
Not heard the Maya 9 rumour, but when a new version of any software comes out you always get "why are you getting that version, there going to bring a new one out soon and your money will be down the drain"

To be honest, I think that Autodesk will keep Maya (I might be wrong), hey they have done it with some CAD software takeovers they've been involved in (I mean left the taken over software as a sepperate app but made it have more generic Autodesk features) but they will add more of max's features (probably try to intergrate the transfer of files from one to the other with regards to fluids, cloth etc)

As for getting advertising e-mails thats par for the course, your on a mailing list and they want money out of ya!

I think that one of the big things that people have against Maya 8 and it becoming more MAX like is how you click on the grid to get a primitive shape rarther than it appearing at the 0,0,0 position, this option can be disabled. Also the menus have changed quite a bit, who knows if this wasn't an Alias upgrade?

All be it I do feel that Maya 8 was a rush job to get the Autodesk name, and new logo on it and give a sign that Alias are no more.

As I've said before its a bit S^%t that theres no documentation, does anyone know if this is the case with Max 9??

# 18 05-10-2006 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
yea, i am sure you are correct on all counts.

The click on grid thing, well that didn't worry me because I knew it could be disabled. Well, whatever the outcome, lets hope it is for the better, I still think of Jay still using 6 and getting some pretty fine things happening as we all know and drool over, the question is, why does someone like Jay (sorry to put your name in lights mate) stick to an older version and not chase up the new ones even though he easily could (I've seen Jay's name on a few shows, movies I have seen in Australia for SPX or animation, can't remeber which, well one movie, I do exaggerate at times but the question still remians..?) I undertand Matt needing it for uni but an app for apps sake, or art for arts sake, that is the question, whether to suffer the slings and arrows of outragous animation..,

take it easy and life will be easy