Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 23-10-2006 , 01:36 AM
that link doesn't go anywhere... besides, if you just give a basic 3-point light setup you should be ok... clay renders tend to be blown out in a lot of places...

start with the key light (the light you have currently), and that's the brightest light you should have.

now, add a fill light on the opposite side of the key light, in the same position. the intesity of this light should be about 3/4 of your key light.

and lastly the backlight. it's a light that's in the same position (or maybe a little lower than your key and fill) but has about the same or less intensity as your fill, and is directly behind the subject.

keep in mind that the 3-point lighting method works best when the 3 lights are set in accordance to your rendering camera, not your model. if you set up the 3 lights and then change the camera angle, you can still get poor lighting. best way around this is to parent the lights to your camera... be aware this setup is only really recommended for showcasing a model, and not really for a scene.

another way to avoid the clay render but get a decent outcome is to render with mental ray... make a nurbs box, delete 3 of the 6 sides (top and two adjacent sides) and use this kinda like a display case you put your model into. open the active camera's attribute editor, and under environment change your background color to white (using hsv, i have simple values of 0,0,2). in render globals (settings, whatever) uncheck use default light at the bottom of the maya common options. under mental ray, enable final gather, and up your final gather rays to about 1000. give that a render, it should turn out pretty well... but rendering larger than 640X480 might take a little while... like a minute or four, depending on the speed of your computer and amount of ram.

Accept no substitutions.
# 17 23-10-2006 , 01:38 AM
thanks i got a few clay renders hope you all enjoy them... i know there is some issues with the mirror on my mesh but there minor i have already fixed them.... thanks i found another link for the clay rendering im toying with it now its fun ^^

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

here is a wire frame that i jsut threw in... i only combined the items together for now for a quick mirror.. but it should give you a idea about how the wire frame is layed out... i have some "cleaning up to do in some areas" Enjoy !!!

user added image

:p

Just make it work

www.createdestroy.net/kcin
# 18 23-10-2006 , 01:48 AM
those new renders you've got are really pretty dark... what tutorial did you follow to get that result?

i'd still recommend the second method i described *shrug*

(the quick and dirty way of getting the 'clay render' look is to select your objects you want clay rendered, drop them into a render layer, then pick the 'ambient occlusion' preset and render to mental ray. i've been toying with how to get this to be not as bleached out, but really to no avail.)

Accept no substitutions.
# 19 23-10-2006 , 01:52 AM
your right they are very dark im messing with the setting right now i hope to have a better looking render soon... i might jsut wait till i have the hands and feet and wings finished though

Just make it work

# 20 23-10-2006 , 01:58 AM
no rush, the wireframe is what i was hoping for, and wow. cool. and stuff.

Accept no substitutions.
# 21 23-10-2006 , 02:02 AM
lol i figured out what i did wrong XD i forgot to contrast the colors between the mech and the ground... opps XD

does this look better?

user added image

Just make it work

# 22 23-10-2006 , 02:23 AM
Now yer details show well. Looks great. Could ya post a 3-point light setup too¿?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 23 23-10-2006 , 03:10 AM
looks better, but it needs to be brighter... like x10...

Accept no substitutions.
# 24 23-10-2006 , 08:15 AM
ok here is a update with the wings connected and the hands modeled.... I also connected the feet... I am now working on the fun stuff the super fine details and im working with rigging x.x i hope i can do it -dies-

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Just make it work

# 25 24-10-2006 , 03:55 AM
The hands look a bit small, and the fingers are a bit too thin.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 26 24-10-2006 , 05:03 AM
Nick, the Mech is turning out to be awesome. Did you get all rigging done with it? Last time i saw, Greg was trying to help you. I need to start into more stuff, hell i still have to model the toy. I'll see ya in class.

# 27 24-10-2006 , 06:25 AM
Acid44
hes like a beautiful bird...coming to destroy godzilla

:bow: good work!!:bow:

# 28 24-10-2006 , 12:59 PM
very nice!!

I like the shape very much! ... especially that "ripples" on the legs...

what are u going to do with this mech? put him in some kind of scene or animate him?

# 29 24-10-2006 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber

I love maya
# 30 24-10-2006 , 02:02 PM
thanks everyone for the nice comments... Im putting this project on hold for a couple of weeks due too I have alot of classwork I need to catch up on if I want to stay in college x.x ... But I will post some other renders of some current WIP's that I am working on in the mean time... and to answer S3rj question I am planning on making about 6 mechs.... 2 super mechs this being one of them and 4 common ones that are more for numbers and not power... I would like to use them as a central piece for a animtion in my portfolio.... I may work on a story board soon to give you a better idea of what I am shooting for

Just make it work