Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 01-01-2007 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the words Jay... about lowering the mesh and then tweak till i get the form, i do that but then i get carried away and start split polying and adding heavy geometry because i really like to see alot of lines for some wierd reason :S ill try start to get in the habit of making it lower mesh first, thanks for the tip.

yeah the ears are abit of hassel and my worse enemy.. looks like ill have to keep on practicing,

marlon

# 17 01-01-2007 , 09:20 PM
Getting the right mesh density I found a pain, I can now get some nice decent shapes etc using a lot less geometry, just by practicing and using the smooth proxy mode to mirror the low poly into a smoothed poly mesh to see what the changes on the low poly does (I dont think that I could have made that sound more confusing if I tried LOL!)

Also using the sculpt poly tool helps out a bit (with the smooth function on) to get nice subtle changes, again seeing the result using the smooth proxy.

Hope this helps

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 01-01-2007 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
haha i get what you mean, interesting..

yeah i been using abit of scupt tool on him but ill try to use it abit more to smooth out some more things. yeah ill give the smooth proxy a try, thanks for the feedback gster.

marlon

# 19 02-01-2007 , 12:45 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

This is one of my latest heads, have a look at how low the poly mesh is, before hitting the subd command

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 20 02-01-2007 , 03:20 AM
Looks great that jay, BTW noticed your base topology mesh on CG talk, looks sweet. did this charcter come from that?

# 21 02-01-2007 , 12:18 PM
Hey gster

Thanks dude, this is a new one from scratch that I posted over there , I did it a week before christmas, it only took 4hrs (ish)

Talking of CG talk, perhaps a topology thread would be good here especially for newbies and people interested generally on modeling characters.

Cheers
Jay

# 22 02-01-2007 , 02:16 PM
Yeah man, I agree, maybe in the WIP thread as a stickey where peeps can post for quick crits and comments etc??

# 23 02-01-2007 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
Wow jay, the mesh is low yet it is soo smooth and detailed which is equal to fantastic user added image now i see why people have low meshes and end up with a great result lol...

about the tapology thread, yeah that sounds awesome and will help alot of people, cheers buddy ... marlon

# 24 02-01-2007 , 03:54 PM
MJ

Well I started the thread and made it sticky so...I think with a bit of luck new people and those wanting to push their abilities should use it for getting advice from the more senior and professional contingent here

Cheers
Jay

# 25 02-01-2007 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
Yeah lets hope it is a success and many people post and learn new things which they havnt before...

Well heres abit of an update, just spent a couple of minutes making the nose abit bigger and shaping it alittle bit. any crits about it? if its too big or small you reckon?

Thanks, marlon

user added imageuser added image

# 26 02-01-2007 , 04:39 PM
Senior Software Developer
I think the sticky on Topology and head modelling would be a great idea. To expand would we be able to get wikipedia on the site to put these types of things into. Guys who can write tutes, show screenshots, advise, explanation of terminology. Good Idea? Who knows, just popped into my head.

Organics is my weakest subject, but I have taken the bull by the horns and did this, but its nice to so many of us getting stuck in.

I have sorted the chin (too pointy) and the eyes, looks very boggle eyed, and will dump a wire and updated render when I am back from work.

MJ I like your head and it gives me a real World of Warcraft Ork feel about it.

Gster your work is always good...

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 02-01-2007 at 04:48 PM.
# 27 29-01-2007 , 04:03 PM
Hey, wikipedia.com has a page deicated to edge loops. Maybe u could check it out.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman