Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-06-2007 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber

Component Editor VS Painting Weights

Hey just a quick question from me, would like to hear your opinion on this just before i apply this method to my character. Which is better between the two, component editor is much easier as i have tried it but with painting weights, its a real pain :p

Also what are the Ups/Downs to these two methods?

Thanks,

Marlon J

# 2 09-06-2007 , 05:57 PM
hey Marlon

What i've found that I use for my workflow is that I use the componant editor to sort out sections of the model, i.e if the left legs verts are controled a bit by the right fingers then use the componant editor to set the weights to 0.

When I go into the paint weights sthen I only ever add, never take away, what I mean is say if your doing the knee, then only add to the verts, if you go over what you need, either undo or select the next joint, in this example the ankle or hip then add a touch to that vert (as if you add to the hip it will take away from the knee etc)

The point of only adding is that they need to add up to a value of 1, if you only take away then maya will add the extra to another vert somewhere (at thats my understanding!)

Hope it helps

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 11-06-2007 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply, as i said to you last time ... yeah i will most likely end up doing your method since it sounds pretty good user added image

Lets hope this turns out good :p

Marlon