Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-08-2007 , 05:02 AM

diablo

Now, I know this does'nt concern maya too much, but me and some friends are gonna make a mud game. So its gonna be a isometric online rpg type game, trying to figure out how to be able to make high enough graphics like diablo/diablo 2... I might use maya and photoshop, or just photoshop to paint the graphics, that way I can put in quite a bit of detail..

Now what program(s) were used to create diablo/diablo 2?

I heard flash was....but have no clue...

I just cant figure out how to make the buildings in such a high detail in photoshop....any help on info would be appreciated...

# 2 01-08-2007 , 05:25 AM
no, flash wasn't. they made their own engine, which they probably sell.

i dont play it, so i cant help you anymore though, ha

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 01-08-2007 , 03:41 PM
Diablo uses a sprite based isometric game engine that Blizzard made themselves which they probaly keep in a vault somewhere (they ain't gonna sell it).

Now graphics. If you look at the .mpq data files on the CD (I think its the CD, haven't checked in ages), you can tell that they are made in a 3d app. I'm not sure what they used backed then, but since Blizzard likes to use 3ds max, that was probaly it.

To put custom details inside Diablo isn't too difficult. All you need is a .mpq exporter, importer to open and modify the data files. You can find them diablo modding sites. The hard part is actually making content in the same format which diablo uses. Your .mpq exporter, importer should have viewers for the content meaning that if you look hard enough, you should find somewhere programs that take raw content and encode into diablo format.

The diablo content are just sprites, the characters, monsters, objects and all are just a collection of still frames put together with control data so that the program can display this combination of frames when this action occurs. To do this in Maya you probaly have to model a character and then animate it to do something like walking, but make sure that the framerate matches that for diablo. This is the same for objects and backgrounds (I think), but keep in mind some sprites are just static.

I can drone on and on about this, but there are two last major things you have to know. Diablo uses custom palletes for colour. You will have to use their palletes and make your colours match theirs or if your really up to it, make your own palletes, though I don't know what format they are in. Also, when looking for .mpq viewers, make sure you get the one for your version of diablo, not starcraft.

bakkily > 'I heard flash was....but have no clue...'

Who said that?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 4 02-08-2007 , 06:15 AM
Just a friend from school told me that they did, but have no clue how they could have painted such high detail....can take a bit of time....but anything can...

# 5 02-08-2007 , 03:06 PM
bakkily > 'have no clue how they could have painted such high detail....'

Diablo's sprites ain't painted. They are 3d models rendered in a 3d app with the camera looking at it in isometric view. The rendered sprites are then exported into the files inside the mpq.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!