Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-09-2007 , 09:49 PM

Proxy won't render when adjusted - annoying problem

Hi all,

say I create a proxy. It will render fine at first - but as soon as I adjust my original (even one vertice), when I render I get an error along the lines of "maya.tmr, surface 55 has no faces will not be rendered".

It clearly has faces - I can still see it in my scene view. It's only just started doing this. I've even reinstalled maya, same problem.

Anyone know the cause / a fix?

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 17-09-2007 , 10:14 PM
Lifetime Member
did you delete any faces on the original mesh ?
Try deleteing the proxy and creating a new one from the low poly mesh, this might solve your problem.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 17-09-2007 , 11:52 PM
Hi jsprogg,

no, like I said if I even move just one vertice, the proxy won't render - so any adjustment at all screws it up. I can delete the proxy and create a new one, but having to do this every time I make any adjustment isn't really practical. I should just be able to render, adjust, render and so forth.

No one else came across this? I googled it and it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the suggestions I seen (reinstall, change from mentalray to maya software and back) have not worked.

cheers,

gubar.

# 4 18-09-2007 , 03:01 AM
Lifetime Member
I was not suggesting that you create a new one after every component move..lol
To be honest I have never come across this problem, can you go into a little more detail as to exactly whats happening... i.e. does the display show the changes on the proxy ? is it just that when you try to render the proxy mesh looks screwed ect.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 25-09-2007 , 02:20 PM
Hi,

sorry for the delay in replying, just back from holiday.

Anyway, what happens is this. I create a new proxy, and render - and the proxy renders as expected. I then adjust my original mesh and the proxy updates. But then when I render, the proxy won't render. I delete the proxy, create a new one and it renders. Then, when I adjust, it won't render. My original mesh will render, but where the proxy is just remains an empty space. It is fine in scene view. It doesn't matter how minot the adjustment is - moving one vertice a fraction causes this error.

This is the error that appears:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : Torso1Shape: mesh has no faces, ignored

It just started to happen, it had been fine before.

cheers,

gubar.

Last edited by gubar; 25-09-2007 at 02:27 PM.