Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-02-2008 , 11:21 AM

Polygon count whats high /Whats low?

Well I am working on my first nice looking robotic character he has around 30 K of polys. It originally had say 50 K but I reduced the count my lowering the poly count in many areas. On average whats a high count for a charcter/model and whats considered reasonably low poly?
I will sometime when the detail fills in and the UVs are done I'll show it.

# 2 12-02-2008 , 01:08 PM
Lifetime Member
jm82792 it really depends on what you intend to do with model, for instance if you are just creating a single rendered image you really don't have to worry too much about poly count as long as your machine can handle it RAM wise.It's only when you get into the area of game modeling and animation you have to worrry about poly count.Game models these days can go quite high but an average would be between 7k to 12 k , as for animation it depends on how much you have in the scene and can animate successfully with the amount of polys you have.
30k would be exceptable for animation but a little too high for games as it stands right now.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 12-02-2008 , 03:09 PM
Okay,I dunno I could jsut make a low poly game version and a high poly version. I am suing rsut for the UVs so low poly does not affect the looks too much. My computer is handling 50K fine on a dual core 1.6 ghz with a gig of ram on an intergrated graphics card.
On the side are there nay idiot proff GUI game making applications ?

# 4 12-02-2008 , 03:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
it depends a lot on the game. A game I've worked on using Unreal3 had the main character at a little less than 7000, and other NPCs at around 4000-5000. Some go higher.

# 5 12-02-2008 , 06:59 PM
Okay well I can lower detail then make it game worthy.
for practice without losing looks. I will keep a high poyl high detail one for maybe an animation for later.

# 6 12-02-2008 , 08:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
high poly modeling is definitely good to know. Games are getting to a point where a high and a low poly model is required, to generate normal maps and the like.

For example, I made a prop recently and the low poly version was something like 400 polys while the high was easily over 10000. user added image

# 7 13-02-2008 , 08:18 AM
Okay I need to better understand more what normals are and such,I can practice low poly from a high poly model and so on. I am still new to all of this so I am just starting to get over the learning curve. I'll work on making a ultra low poly then a game poly count then a film poly count for fun then later after I hopefully rig it with walk,run whatever cycles i'll hopefully show it.
Thanks user added image
Josh

Last edited by jm82792; 13-02-2008 at 08:21 AM.