I'm in front of Maya now so here's how to do that:
1. Go to: POLYGONS/TOOL OPTIONS and make sure that the following are OFF:
-Keep new faces planar
-Keep new faces together
2. Make your poly sphere.
3. Select all of the faces.
4. Go to Edit polygons/Extrude Face
5. Now, scale in ANY axis a little bit, then UNDO, and then the CENTER global scale cube will appear.
6. Scale that down a bit untill each extruded face becomes a small point.
7. Now, click on the little blue circle.
8. Now, grab the center scale cube handle again, and scale up all of your faces to as far out as you want.
9. Click the blue circle again.
10. Now grab the center scale cube hadle again, and drag to the left to make your extruded things into pointy spikes.
11. (optional) smooth
Hope that helped
Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS