Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-01-2009 , 08:06 AM
Jr.Who

Processor question

Hey guys,

Yes, another PC question! lol Right now I'm running a P4 HT 3.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM on XP. If I were to bump it up to 4 GB of RAM, which one of these would be my best option (keep in mind that 90% of the use for this computer is ZB3):

4 GB with XP
4 GB with Vista
4 GB with 64-bit processor (if I could find one) and XP 64-bit
4 GB with 64-bit processor and Vista 64-bit

I would really like to just keep my current version of XP (cause if I got Vista then it would suck up all my RAM), but I haven't heard that many good things about 32-bit Windows and 4 GB of RAM or 64-bit XP.

So, can anyone clarify it for me?

-Steven Palmesano
user added image

# 2 11-01-2009 , 11:34 AM
I dont think you can go to 64 bit with that processor, might be wrong though.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 11-01-2009 , 05:03 PM

Re: Processor question

Originally posted by Jr.Who
.... 90% of the use for this computer is ZB3...

Unless you have a 64-bit version of ZB then a 64-bit OS will do you no good.

...cause if I got Vista then it would suck up all my RAM

So, so not true at all.
I really wish people would stop saying this crap, lol.
Just like ANY OS, a machine and its' OS work hand-in-hand, and if we don't have the knowledge or patience to tweak a machine for its' intended use, we are just asking for trouble.

Keep in mind, however, not many of us know how to properly tweak a hardware/software combo so it's not uncommon to hear about people having a lot of issues using a given combo for something other than what it was intended, mainly because ANY OS other than IRIX, out of the box is not designed to perform well for the type of work we do.

I've been lucky enough to have a hardware guy build my machines for me for the last 11 years, and for more on that, read about my Vista64-bit rig and renderfarm here.

....but I haven't heard that many good things about ... 64-bit XP.
So, can anyone clarify it for me?

Sure, see my previous link to an old thread about this issue:
read about my Vista64-bit rig and renderfarm here.

...also, I moved this thread to the proper forumuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 11-01-2009 , 10:41 PM
I think Z's 64 bit compatable off the bat.

# 5 11-01-2009 , 10:44 PM
Sweet.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 12-01-2009 , 03:43 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
I dont think you can go to 64 bit with that processor, might be wrong though.

I know that, but what I'm saying is if I get the 4 GB can I just use my current version (the 32-bit processor with 32-bit XP) and be OK? Or should I get 32-bit Vista? I've heard there's some differences, but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by ragecgi
So, so not true at all.
I really wish people would stop saying this crap, lol.
Just like ANY OS, a machine and its' OS work hand-in-hand, and if we don't have the knowledge or patience to tweak a machine for its' intended use, we are just asking for trouble.

Keep in mind, however, not many of us know how to properly tweak a hardware/software combo so it's not uncommon to hear about people having a lot of issues using a given combo for something other than what it was intended, mainly because ANY OS other than IRIX, out of the box is not designed to perform well for the type of work we do.

I've been lucky enough to have a hardware guy build my machines for me for the last 11 years, and for more on that, read about my Vista64-bit rig and renderfarm here.Sure, see my previous link to an old thread about this issue:
read about my Vista64-bit rig and renderfarm here.

Rage… I really don't get your post… lol. I looked on that topic, and all I heard was complaining about Vista and how XP is better. And of course Vista isn't sucking up your RAM, cause you have 16 GB.

# 7 12-01-2009 , 04:33 AM
Yes it will work.

Tbh I doubt that the motherobard will be 64 bit supported if you wanted to go that route

# 8 12-01-2009 , 05:23 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Yes it will work.

OK, thanks. Why are some people saying that if you want 4 GB you should go 32-bit Vista instead of 32-bit XP though?

# 9 12-01-2009 , 05:39 AM
Dunno, a 32 bit os will support 4gig of RAM, though it might look like you can only see 3.25-3.5 gig as it takes into account any other memory (GFX cards etc) the maximum alowed is due to the addressing. Its still there and used.

I couldent see why theres a difference between vista and XP, though in XP you can throw the 3 gig switch, not too sure if you can do that with vista.

I use xp 32 bit with the 3 gig switch with 4 gig of ram, no probs.

I am thinking of moving up to 64 bit in the next year or so.

# 10 12-01-2009 , 08:06 AM
Hehe, yeah sorry bout that Jr.
My point simply was that just like any OS, if you try and use outdated hardware with a newer OS, you may/will potentialy have issues that in most cases cannot be fixed withought building a box from the ground up.

Also, I wasn't trying to sound "elitist" by pointing out my 64bit Vista Rig, but it may have come-off like that, sorryuser added image
In that thread, and others in the past, people were wondering what a post-house rig was like and how little it really cost and more importantly a rig that ran Vista 64bit Ultimate flawlessly.

But regarding your specific issue, gster answered you correctly.
A 32-bit OS can only address "up to" a maximum of 4 gigs of ram, but that is ONLY after the OS, certain software, and any peripherals take their share of the ram available.
So the long and short of it it is, a 32-bit OS will never "see" the total 4 gigs as all of it will never be available to the OS.
XP 32-bit can be "fooled" into seeing up to 3 gigs with the "boot .ini" adjustment, but it may cause issues in some cases, but not always, as my older XP box used the "3 gig boot .ini adjustment" without issues.

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I know that, but what I'm saying is if I get the 4 GB can I just use my current version (the 32-bit processor with 32-bit XP) and be OK? Or should I get 32-bit Vista? I've heard there's some differences, but I'm not sure.

Yes there are.
The quick answer if you just wanna add 2 more gigs to your current Xp box is yes. It should be no problem.
Most 32 bit software on a 32 bit OS will only "see" up to 2 gigs of ram, if it is available, so thats what gster was saying.

On the topic of Vista 32bit, yes, Vista by default is more resource-needy, (just like Mac Tiger, etc.) because those newer OS's expect the user is using newer, more powerfull, and updated hardware to run it.
However in Vista, ALL of those things can be shut off, in essence, returning it to the XP core.
(turn off things like the Aero UI, control Prefetch with a thumb drive, etc...)
Bit the point is if one wants to upgrade to Vista, I would suggest going 64bit, NOT 32bit.

That way you can get a mobo that supports more memory, updated procs, etc to take advantage of it, rather than be a slave to ituser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 12-01-2009 , 09:25 AM
If your going for performance in Z have a look on CG talk in the Zbrush thread, theres a thread on gettig the most out of your Pc with Z by tweeking some settings, though other than the 3 gig switch and upping the mem size (in Z) I've not done anymore.

With the 3gig switch I've not have any problems with it on 2 PC's, seems to work a treat.

Rage is right when it comes to the OS and the hardware issues, matter of progression.

I persoanlly wouldnt go to 64 bit unless I was going to have at least 8 gigs of RAM in the system, just to have the overhead and the firepower to take advantage of the platform and the messing about with softwares etc etc, just my opinion of justifying the outlay!

Though as I say I might when I get some cash.

# 12 12-01-2009 , 10:07 AM
Sweetuser added image Good to know about Z, as I've never used it, though I don't do organics, but still good to know.

Also gster, trust me, when you do go 64bit, you'll never go backuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com