Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-10-2010 , 10:10 PM

can't select vertices or edges

Hey everybody,

My problem is that I can't select vertices or edges. Sometimes after clicking like crazy on an vertice, it finally selects.
What could this be? Maybe I should change something in preferences, but I don't know what.
Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-10-2010 , 02:09 AM
Without further information or knowing exactly what it is that you did to cause this to happen (yeeeesss, unfortunately most common errors in Maya are caused by user error. Pressing the wrong hotkeys, double clicking, accidental menu selections within the hotbox, etc.), try this:

Go to C:/Users/Documents & Settings/(User Name)/My Documents/Maya/(version #) and delete the PREFS folder.

This will reset Maya's preferences back to default. If you have any custom shelf items, marking menus, etc., then you might want to copy those respective folders from the prefs folder before deleting it.

Give that a shot.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 12-10-2010 , 03:59 PM

can't find REFS

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your help, but I can't find a REFS folder anywhere. There's icons, plug-in etc.

Thanks

# 4 12-10-2010 , 04:09 PM

oh, and spikes are now there

Hello again Dave,

What happened also and may shine a light, is that now any Maya file I open looks like this (att). I can reset the display to normal (polygons/reset display)and save it, but opening the file again brings back the spikes The spikes happen in any file I have.
What do you think?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 12-10-2010 , 04:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's the preferences folder you should delete (prefs). It'll be in your documents folders.
Those are vertex normals by the way, and can be turned off under the display menu, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

# 6 12-10-2010 , 05:19 PM
Hi, Thanks for your reply. They are not face normals actually, it is something else I(face normals have one spike in the middle of the face). I can reset that display, but it will return when opening the file again. I'm not sure if it has something to do with my problem of not being able to select vertices.
Prefs are not under documents. I'm still searching.

# 7 12-10-2010 , 05:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
I said they were vertex normals, not face normals. The prefs folder, like dave said originally, will be in documents > maya > 2009 (or your version number) > prefs. There should also be a scripts folder and a projects folder. Alternatively, you could find where your scenes are getting saved, then go up a couple levels and it should be there.

# 8 12-10-2010 , 05:54 PM
Thanks, now I know verts normals too. The solution I found for now is to open an old file that wasn't corrupted (if that's what you call it) and copied my model in there. Now I can select the vertices again. I have a student version of Maya 11, made the old files in Maya 08.
Still looking for the prefs.