Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-04-2011 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber

Looking For Project Advice

Hi there, i have just began learning maya, and it's my goal to create a model of an aircraft that looks very similar to this;

user added image

I have planned out a few tutorials that i'm going to work my way through, and i've also just purchased a tutorial from Simply Maya (Jerry Can), although i have yet to begin. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a bit of advice from experienced users such as yourselves, on a couple of things;

- Are there any recommended tutorials, aimed at skills that i will need to make the above aircraft?
- How complex is the aircraft for a beginner?
- Are there any recommended processes to go through, to make the overall progress easier (eg. blueprints)?

Thankyou for your time.

# 2 30-04-2011 , 06:47 AM
Motion Graphic Designer

Begginer

I think when we are sure to do something It is better to give it a start
Nick Campel saying if you try to work you will come up with your own experiences
next time you know what you are looking for

cheers

Moh.Murtaza Mohammadi

knowledge is power
# 3 30-04-2011 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
I think after doing some tutorials and trying some simple projects of your own you can get the basic shape of the craft. It depends on how far you want to go with the details and if you want to texture the craft. For texturing you want to learn how to lay out UV and have some basic knowlegde of Photoshop.

I reckon this tutorial wil help you a lot.
https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=106&sub_cat=5

# 4 30-04-2011 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the info guys.

I have used Photoshop for years, so i can imagine i will be okay with anything that needs to be done in there.

I would like to express this model as detailed as possible, and it was my plan to complete the finished shape correctly before laying in detail to the body and rotors.

I was thinking about getting that tut. What makes it more appropriate? (despite it being a similar object). I'm assuming the same kinds of techniques will be employed?

# 5 30-04-2011 , 10:14 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 6 30-04-2011 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
Ha okay i'll give it my best :p

I have just started up the Jerry Can tutorial, and a few minutes he begins with image planes already set up, but he does not explain how he set these up. Could someome help me out and explain how i do this? I have done a bit of searching and i have only found complex methods to set up many, when for this i only need one. When i add an image plane, it's static, but in the video it seems to rotate around with it, as though it is slightly behind the model.

In the video, the guy has 4 images of a side shot on one plane at the back (although he only uses the bottom right one, at the back of the 2nd pic). He also has another image to the side, slightly rotated so that it is better to see.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by ivlatty; 30-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
# 7 01-05-2011 , 09:45 PM
Administrator
Hi,
I just added the folder with the reference images and the scene files to part 1 so if you redownload this part it's there now my apologies. The one he uses on the image plane is called "Jerry Cans 1" and the image plane is set up in side view. He doesn't show how to set up the image plane with the tutorial, but if you want to see a video on how to do this you can watch part 1 of this tutorial which is a free part showing image plane set up in Maya, just use the jerry can image instead.

Good luck with the tutorial,
Nilla

# 8 02-05-2011 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
Ah thank you very much!

I had already began with an image plane set in side view, so i'll see how it goes.

# 9 02-05-2011 , 08:52 AM
Lifetime Member
I think the aircraft you want to do is fairly complex ivlatty...the Spitfire tut will help with some knowledge of NURBS and polygon styles. Also it does have a good UV texture tut inside it which will be most important for you to understand some of the basics when shooting into PS. Nice model or picture...the more reference pics/photos or blueprints the better it will be for you in the long run.

If you can get blueprints that is going to be half the battle won...or at least good ref's...to scale shape and size by eye is not easy. Good luck with it mate...really nice picture....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 02-05-2011 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
user added image

Yeh i think i will draw some side-views to make the whole job a bit easier.

# 11 02-05-2011 , 10:12 AM
Lifetime Member
be good if you could...almost looks insectoidal in nature. If you can get or gauge some sort of scale? My judgement (yeh I work around BIG bloody construction machines)..from pic one would make it approx human height (if they are peoples)..to the top of the foot in the landing padfeet. Equal to the top of an ankle on a body if you catch my drift? Then scale it from there I suppose...fliiping the human to horizontal would make the very last part of the tail approx human in length...my thoughts only but that would be a start.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 12 02-05-2011 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
Hmm, I was thinking a bit bigger. A small size would suggest a lot of agility, which would be hard to pull off in the animation department. I was thinking perhaps a 15 meter wingspan, meaning the central body would be 2-3 meters wide.

I will probably play around with the models size after I have finished, although I have certain ideas that would suit a larger drone more, such as an articulate tail.

Last edited by ivlatty; 02-05-2011 at 11:51 AM.
# 13 02-05-2011 , 12:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Sorry mate I mustnt have said it right...check out my pic...sorry man LOL Im a Surveyor so its a habit that SOMETIMES actually does some good...no intrusion meant mate.

cheers bullet

P.S excuse my bad spelling...tired, something like this...maybe

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip ivlatty_template.zip (9.5 KB, 172 views)

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 02-05-2011 at 12:53 PM.