Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 02-06-2011 , 07:14 PM

Noobie question

I am trying to add more polygons to a model to increase the detail in it.

I selected all the faces I wanted to edit and selected 'smooth' and it looks great in Maya but when I load it into the game it distorts as in the image below.

I'm sure it is something simple. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

user added image

Thanks

DM

# 2 02-06-2011 , 08:28 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Have you tried normals> soften normals then export it to the game

# 3 03-06-2011 , 08:33 AM
The thin red line
You could try freeze transformation..........dave

# 4 04-06-2011 , 05:50 PM
thanks for the advice both of you....however I tried both and it came out the same user added image

I'm not sure now if it's the game or something in Maya.

All I did was selected the faces I wanted to add more to, then selected 'smooth' and the extra faces appeared and look fine in Maya. Maybe I'm missing a step or something.

To my noobie mind they look as if they are not mapped to the object properly.

Any new advice much appreciated.

DM

# 5 05-06-2011 , 07:57 PM
Try this: Open the selection constraints dialog (Edit Polygons -> Selection -> Selection Constraints), set Propagation to "Shell," push the Close and Remember button, now pick a face and every one related to that face should be picked automatically, the idea being that the polys you added should be picked along with the ones that were already there, if yours got added correctly... (?)

# 6 05-06-2011 , 08:47 PM
Probably a rig issue with the point numberings, just to make it clear by point I mean what is called a vertex in maya:

In 3D each point has a unique number attached to it, the numbers can change arbitrarily when you change the geometry, since polygons do not have a native order or directionality the number change is often not predictable.

Point numbers are used all over the place with all kind of operators and its why you often find deformers or rigs behave differently after editing geometry. In games rigs, very simple offsets are used to drive skinning using the transforms of the joints, essentially each point is assigned to a joint, then that point is displaced to the correct position based on the animation.
If a point hasn't been assigned to a joint (which would easily happen if the point numbering has changed) it will not be able to find it at all so the point is never moved from the world origin which is why all the points are in the same location.

You need to re-bind the rigging and export it.

Also a little hint with the addition of detail, only add edge loops / detail that will add more information to the silhouette, by smoothing you are subdividing which will add polys that do nothing to help define the model.

Hope that helps

FX supervisor - double negative
# 7 06-06-2011 , 07:39 AM
You've lost me now.

How do I re-bind the rigging?

Thanks all, what a great resource this forum is for a beginner (like me) user added image

DM

# 8 06-06-2011 , 08:32 AM
Well where are you getting this rig from, are you just replacing a model that was in the game allready ?

How have you arrived at this point?

FX supervisor - double negative