Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-06-2011 , 08:11 AM

Rigging bat wings ( similar to hand rigging) Question~

question resolved~ Hahah silly me

Last edited by trickyBiscuits; 06-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.
# 2 06-06-2011 , 10:13 PM
The thin red line
Im not sure what you are asking...........dave

# 3 06-06-2011 , 10:31 PM
hmm well i edited my post for clarity, hope this helps!

# 4 06-06-2011 , 10:59 PM
The thin red line
I think it would come down to how a bats wing works, I think there are alot of slow motion shot of bats flighing(BBC) you dont have the problems with like birds were there feather interaction so I would go with set driven keys.........dave

# 5 06-06-2011 , 11:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think what you are asking is that you want to be able to spread out the "fingers" but since the base is a single joint, how would you accomplish that?

# 6 07-06-2011 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
wait, you asked a question and then deleted it? why? are you embarrassed by it? or because you don't want anyone else knowing the answer? or the question for that matter...?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 07-06-2011 , 06:42 AM
that was pretty much the question just fyi, yes.

Ive tried locking translate in y, and just collapsed the wings in rotate and translate Z/y but maya kept crashing on me all day and i had to redo this twice.

edit: my new question is this, has anyone ever used a wrap? can you control a wrap with clusters? I was thinking of using a wrap for the rings but i need little wrinkles in it.

Last edited by trickyBiscuits; 07-06-2011 at 06:57 AM.
# 8 07-06-2011 , 06:51 AM

wait, you asked a question and then deleted it? why? are you embarrassed by it? or because you don't want anyone else knowing the answer? or the question for that matter...?

yes i obviously thought it was a moronic question are you happy =|

# 9 07-06-2011 , 04:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
There's no such thing as a dumb question. Sometimes we realize the answer and think "oh, of course" but chances are someone else will have the same question, so leaving the question or even giving the answer you came up with only helps others. Not sure I can answer your question though, it's been a while since I've done any rigging.

# 10 07-06-2011 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber

yes i obviously thought it was a moronic question are you happy =|

you never answered the question... i realize my response before was rather patronizing and i'm sorry, <edit>i do think it's rude to delete your question though and people tend to only do that when they're embarrassed. "if at first you don't succeed hide all evidence that you tried", so it's only natural that someone would think that of you.</edit>

I'm only asking because now all the following posts dont make sense and there could have been other people who would have benefitted from the question.
like me... i wanted to know what you're asking and what you're doing to rig bat wings because rigging wings is cool user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 07-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.
# 11 08-06-2011 , 06:22 AM
Banned

Last edited by jacketshen; 02-11-2011 at 01:42 AM.
# 12 08-06-2011 , 06:31 AM

you never answered the question... i realize my response before was rather patronizing and i'm sorry, <edit>i do think it's rude to delete your question though and people tend to only do that when they're embarrassed. "if at first you don't succeed hide all evidence that you tried", so it's only natural that someone would think that of you.</edit>

I'm only asking because now all the following posts dont make sense and there could have been other people who would have benefitted from the question.
like me... i wanted to know what you're asking and what you're doing to rig bat wings because rigging wings is cool user added image

i didn't realize it was rude, in fact i thought it would save everyone's time!

when i finish rigging them bat wings ill let you know. ill post pics and such.
im never withholding of information, id be glad to share