Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 29-06-2011 , 02:09 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 01-07-2011 , 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Good luck texturing that puppy! Clean environment or grungy?

- Genny
# 18 01-07-2011 , 12:13 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL I knew you would say that Gen!!!! bahahah thanks mate (TIC). Yeh I think I will go the grunge look...abandoned building kinda....I might do a clean one first with all the lights etc etc but I really would like it to look something left in haste...if you get what I mean. Yes...sigh...its going to be hard work to texture..I think just this room alone will be a real pain

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 01-07-2011 , 12:44 PM
The thin red line
Did you start UVing at the start Bullet that would help when you do some thing like this.........dave

# 20 02-07-2011 , 09:17 AM
Nice work, love the detail.

# 21 02-07-2011 , 10:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks clearair....it has a bucketload more detail to come lOL.

No dave I havent...I have actually gotten my crap together in layer and outliner management for the most part...so I dont think I will have too much trouble. I will TRY and make some procedurals for the walls etc etc....I will PS some of the smaller stuff.

I think it will be ok if I stick to my management of all the layers dave...I have both replicting each other at the mo but the outliner will change when I get to the end...I have gotten used to it...though the fact it doesnt reflect sometimes in the outliner is a pain...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 22 03-07-2011 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
for something with a lot of the same objects i'd think it would ease the process of laying out the UVs if you did it early so then you only have to go through unfolding it once. you can leave the arrangement of the UVs until you're done modelling.
at least, that's how i'd do it.
although i suppose there's suppose to be some way of transferring uvs of one object to another easily, but i think it'd be faster to just do it once and not mess around with extra functions

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 23 03-07-2011 , 07:56 AM
The thin red line
Yes there is a way to transfere UVs,select model with the UVs set up first then with the control key held down select the mesh you wont the transfere to then mesh/transfer attributes remember to tick uvs sets and component mode.................dave

Last edited by daverave; 03-07-2011 at 08:02 AM.
# 24 03-07-2011 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
sure it probably doesn't take all that long to select a few hundred of the same object (i don't know the middle ground for between 'a few' and 'a few hundred') and it doesn't take all that long to transfer the mapping, but it seems so unnecessary

just my way of thinking... you can consider it the ramblings of an old man if you want (ie, you can ignore it)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 25 04-07-2011 , 05:06 AM
Lifetime Member
hmmm you are right chirone...but Im halway modelling now...hmmm I will try that on my next model. I see what you mean for sure....though I didnt worry about it until you and dave mentioned it...soemthing you dont pick up on until its too late LOL....now I have modelled it I will have to use (thank you) daves method of attribute transfer...food fo thought though guys..thanks for the tip. I did something the other day...with grouping I think...then unfolded one and when I clicked on the other objects they had already obtained the UV's....dont quote me on that cos I CANT bloody remember what I did...but it wasnt your way dave...hmmmm dont you just HATE that?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 26 04-07-2011 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber

Here ben...sorry it was under arma's name...I havent finished yet...takes a bit as the tools are different etc so I have to plan what I need to do whilst watching the vid LOL gives one a headache

https://simplylightwave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5669

user added image I see it. How are you finding Lightwave? easier to learn than Maya? Harder? ....Better/worse? very different/very similar? pros/cons?

# 27 04-07-2011 , 09:41 PM
Lifetime Member
Sorry ben...Ive done it in Maya...using the LW tut...thats the hard part...LOL it gets confusing. I used LW for an hour then gave up...kinda like going from driving on the left...to driving on the right.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 28 11-07-2011 , 07:22 AM
Lifetime Member
OK I have done the outlet pipes...did the cylinders with bevels only...not sure about the result...hmmmm dont know whether to seperate the 'greebles' and delete the insert holes to smooth the skin or just leave it...probably wont see the ripples in the final renders...crits? or advice

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 29 11-07-2011 , 07:47 AM
The thin red line
I would do those as a bump map Bullet, I think your little lapy will have a heart attack trying to render all those polys.........dave

# 30 11-07-2011 , 10:39 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL you are probably right dave.....what about displacement? how does that affect things?

bullet1968