Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-07-2011 , 08:49 PM

Help: Coming over from Max to Maya 2012

Argh super n00b alert. Im sure this super easy but I am having a bit of a problem understanding:

Using the ViewCube. Why do Maya's orthographic views left, right, front etc have perspective on them?
Yet if I use the Hotbox > Views they don't?

Also. I've noticed that I am occasionally getting a small square under the pointer when editing. What is that signifying (if anything).

FYI Im using the latest Maya 2012 patched to Hotfix 2 in Win7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for the help.

# 2 02-07-2011 , 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to the darkside user added image. The viewcube never switches to any ortho cameras, it uses the default persp and changes the viewing angle and thats about it while the hotbox allows you to switch between the default ortho cameras etc. Also the little square under the mouse pointer means there is a menu available if you right click.

- Genny
# 3 03-07-2011 , 10:57 AM
Thanks much Genny user added image

Another question: Say I am paint selecting a mesh but I'm not happy with the selection.
Is there away to just to reset the selection so I can start fresh? I would think just clicking outside the mesh would reset it. I know you can click UNSELECT in the Paint Select tool options; but that seems inefficient when trying to reset the whole mesh. Also is there a hotkey that I'm missing so I can paint select/unselect on the fly?

Last edited by Arathrax; 03-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
# 4 04-07-2011 , 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
If you make this short line of mel into a hotkey or put it on a shelf then yeah.

Code:
select -cl;

- Genny
# 5 04-07-2011 , 01:21 PM
Thanks!

Now another question:

Looking for planar align tools so I can quickly make verts on a loop planar in X, Y or Z? Is there anyway to do that in Maya or do I need to get a script?

Also, a question about Edit Mesh> Merge.
If I click on the options box the Merge Vertices Options pops open.
Now once this is open anychanges that are made do not show up until I do an Apply?
It's not interactive? I can't see it until I commit to the changes? Is that right?

# 6 04-07-2011 , 04:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's correct, however, if you open up the merge in the inputs (bottom part of channel box) after it's been applied, you can there interactively change things like the threshold.

# 7 04-07-2011 , 06:56 PM
The thin red line
Looking for planar align tools so I can quickly make verts on a loop planar in X, Y or Z? Is there anyway to do that in Maya or do I need to get a script?
Not sure this is what you want but "make live" might be.........dave

# 8 05-07-2011 , 09:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Holding 'X' key after selecting the verts and using move tool will snap them to the default grid, making them planar in the ortho you are using...if thats what you meant. Also works if you want to snap them to a vert as the base point. Select the verts you want to align to a base vert...then 'V' and use the move tool arrow indicators to do this....

cheers bullet

I forgot to add..turn off 'Retain Component Spacing' in the tool options box for the above to work.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 05-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
# 9 05-07-2011 , 12:26 PM
Thanks for all your responses. user added image

I'd like to add alot of commands to the polygonl right click marking menu, things such as hide selected, hide unselected, etc....not seeing much out there on it. Any ideas?

# 10 05-07-2011 , 04:28 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can create your own marking menus, with any commands. I can't give you the exact step by step, but there should be a marking menu editor under Windows > General editors > Marking menu editor, or something similar.