Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 11-10-2011 , 08:30 PM

Simple studio Apartment

Hey guys.

So, this is my first project since coming back to Maya after a year. Starting to work on a basic one room apartment for the architecture, but really complex modeling on what will populate it. Did this over the weekend.

Some things to note:

This is a basic quick and dirty lighting set up to give me some atmosphere to work in and should not be considered a final lighting approach (I'm aware of problems like repeating shadows , burn outs, etc.)

Many surface details are in progress- IE, some aren't beveled, smoothed or anything but the primary polygonal shapes.

The finishing work of the furniture and props thus far is newly in progress. Like I just started working on them. For instance, I just starting beating up the couch cushions on the left side of the couch and am refining the swing-arm lamp geometry (all swing arm lamp geometry here created free-hand in curves except for the arms. There is a glitch in the vertex at the mid radius of the shade/bowl which has unfortunately created a banding effect I need to fix.)

All this stuff said, This is my first time actually attempting to mimic the real world and it's objects, and not some fantasy space station to begin with. Even though I like my space station.

Hope you all like these and any constructive criticism will be appreciated. Be kind. I'm a newb. Please remember that.

Travis

user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

LAMP work...

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 11-10-2011 at 08:35 PM.
# 2 11-10-2011 , 09:23 PM
The thin red line
Looks like a good start, lightings not my best area but will help if I can............dave

# 3 11-10-2011 , 10:11 PM
Great community
Looks good, really looking forward to the rest.

Tip: Next time you can use "manage attachments" below the Submit Reply button to upload your images instead of imageshack (less work).

Creck

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 4 12-10-2011 , 12:01 AM
EduSciVis-er
Actually, I think you can only attach one image per post that way and there is a res cap.

# 5 12-10-2011 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
Travis, what is that board thing that's angled and hanging down from the wall in the corner?

Stwert, nah Creck's right, you can upload more than one image per post now

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 12-10-2011 , 01:08 AM
EduSciVis-er
Oop... never mind then. I still like imageshack.

# 7 12-10-2011 , 08:17 AM
Nice work Travis, look forward to more.

# 8 12-10-2011 , 05:04 PM

Travis, what is that board thing that's angled and hanging down from the wall in the corner?

Stwert, nah Creck's right, you can upload more than one image per post now

Hey Chirone.

Well, if you're talking about what the swing lamp is attached to, it's the start of a drafting table I'm putting in the corner. The large rectangle hanging vertically just above it on the wall is a cork board where I'm going to make paper hangings of reference and design stuff. Apparently, this is an artists studio apartment, lol. Not that I'm populating it with anything I have had experience withuser added image

# 9 12-10-2011 , 05:05 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and comments for my post here.

You guys are all very cool. i appreciated the input. See ya later.

Travis

# 10 12-10-2011 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
Ah, I see, I thought maybe it was some sort of tv with a thing in front of it where you flip it up and cover the tv and reveal a whiteboard or something.
It looks really high up. Are you a super tall fellow or you'll sit on a really high chair or the room really short?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 12-10-2011 , 09:00 PM

Ah, I see, I thought maybe it was some sort of tv with a thing in front of it where you flip it up and cover the tv and reveal a whiteboard or something.
It looks really high up. Are you a super tall fellow or you'll sit on a really high chair or the room really short?

LMAO...I'm 6 3'. And I sit high up. It's an 8 foot ceiling, so yeah, I ride my table a little high.user added image

# 12 13-10-2011 , 06:11 AM
Lifetime Member
NOt bloody bad for a noob mate!!! nicely done thus far. The only thing I see sticking out...the nuts that attach the light to the clamp...I could be wrong but they look too square and not octagonal enough...but I dont know what they look like...just my experience with nuts and bolts in the general sense. Keep it up mate....looking good

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 13-10-2011 , 03:19 PM

Looks good, really looking forward to the rest.

Tip: Next time you can use "manage attachments" below the Submit Reply button to upload your images instead of imageshack (less work).

Creck

Thanks man. Will check on the image thing
Travis

# 14 13-10-2011 , 03:20 PM

NOt bloody bad for a noob mate!!! nicely done thus far. The only thing I see sticking out...the nuts that attach the light to the clamp...I could be wrong but they look too square and not octagonal enough...but I dont know what they look like...just my experience with nuts and bolts in the general sense. Keep it up mate....looking good

cheers bullet

Fare Dinkum with regard to the more octagon shape on the nuts, mate. And believe me, I was lucky to get them that decent. I did a curve extrusion and tried to boolian the center with a pipe, but that mucked up the geometry. So i just used a duplicate of the original curve so it the functionality is not really accurate as to how it would actually screw in.

I agree. This was just a first attempt. The hinge pipes and inner workings are not accurate either. my internet's been down and even at work, I couldn't find on Google a close shot of the mechanics of that area inside the bracket. Funny, I've owned this model of lamp for like what, 30 years?

never know what you may need to really pay close attention to. I have to go the lamp store and take some photos.

Thanks for the REALLY kind comment btw. With everyone on here so experienced and really just masters of the software, it can (occasionally) you know, be a little imposing. I respect so many artists here.

Just amazing.

Best,

# 15 14-10-2011 , 01:40 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL Im a noob still mate...after 18 months part time I have a LONG way to go. The only advantage I have SOMETIMES is Im a Surveyor by trade...so I use 2D CAD quite a lot and do a S**T load of digital terrain models...not much fun in those I can tell you.

Ok for a nut...simply use a poly cylinder..8 sides of course...and then give it 0 caps and extrude those in..then agin down until they meet and delete. Then merge the verts left over in the middle of the nut. Then bevel all edges EXCEPT those on the top and bottom face...2 segments for the bevel and then smooth...one nut...of course duplicate as needed.

Here is a file with history oon for you so you can see what I mean. I hardly use NURBS and curves...painful unless you are comfortable with them. Though in saying that they are useful to get a good shape then convert to poly...I prefer poly's as thats what Im used to at work.....

Keep up the good work mate...and yes we are all here to help...or throwe things at you LOL..I ask for food when people throw stuff...5 kids and all I can use the help LOL

Cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip Travis_Nut.zip (6.8 KB, 202 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 14-10-2011 at 01:43 AM.