Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-10-2011 , 04:31 AM

Joints Question

I'm trying to connect a joint to my character Eye, but I'm having troubles. When I select the joint, and then the joint tool my selected joint deselects.. I'm not sure how to create the joint off the already created joint, because this keeps happening, lol.

# 2 13-10-2011 , 05:01 AM
I got the issue figured out but ran into another problem. I was trying to select joints outside of side view, lol. It wasn't working in the perspective view...

I've got this one eyed alien. I've acheived what I wanted. Binding the eye to a joint in the head. The problem is binding the rest of the joints to the aliens geometry because the eye is parented to that geometry. Even when I only selec the other joints contected to the eye joint and bind the skin I get a wanring that eye geomtry is already bound..no longer move the eye, but the whole thing now... lol

# 3 13-10-2011 , 07:07 AM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 13-10-2011 , 08:34 AM
I didn't thouhg, just the first part of it. I'm a little stuck on the second issue.. I'm not good at animating or modeling, but my project might make ya laugh, haha.

# 5 13-10-2011 , 03:12 PM
Lifetime Member
I haven't done a lot of animating but I didn't think eyes needed joints per say or need to be bound like skin does. You should just be able to apply an aim constraint to the eye to get it to move around.

Good Luck,

Jake

# 6 13-10-2011 , 04:25 PM

I haven't done a lot of animating but I didn't think eyes needed joints per say or need to be bound like skin does. You should just be able to apply an aim constraint to the eye to get it to move around.

Good Luck,

Jake

Jake I have agree I would not bind the eyes to a main rig, but you would create a set of controllers for the eyes so you can animate each eye, eyelid and then both eyes. There are tutorials for this online.

Rigging is hard for new people, and can be difficult to understand. Check out Digital Tutors they may have something to guide you.

R@nSiD (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 7 14-10-2011 , 12:58 AM
Thanks. I just followed a tutorial on setting up eye controlers, I'm still learning though. Thins is not having a reliable learning source, such as schooling. I'm picking up peoples bad habbits, haha, but I guess that's part of learning from home, eh?

# 8 14-10-2011 , 05:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Yea that really is the big challenge of trying to learn on your own. My best advice would be to use reputable sites only like digital tutors and of course Simply Maya sure the tutorials might be a little more expensive but its worth it to be learning the correct information.

- Jake
# 9 14-10-2011 , 08:09 AM

Thanks. I just followed a tutorial on setting up eye controlers, I'm still learning though. Thins is not having a reliable learning source, such as schooling. I'm picking up peoples bad habbits, haha, but I guess that's part of learning from home, eh?

Most of the guys on these forums are self taught and are doiing it for fun, or the hopes of a great showreel or even prep work prior to heading into University. So its no worries we have alll got to start some where.

Keep plugging away and keep asking on the forums we have members who know a bit about most of the topics needed.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 10 14-10-2011 , 08:53 AM
awesome, great community here so far, lol. Love that a lot of people are out to help.