Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-10-2011 , 10:51 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Tin Tin Movie

Saw Tin Tin today at a preview.

Really good. Has a very Raiders of the lost Ark pace about it. Funny film too.

They have made it a hyper real caricature film... technically its brilliant, hair,cloth, skin,fur etc. Characters are mocapped even so, as a cg artist you are looking to nitpick...but I tell you the quality is amazing, there are points you have to pinch yourself because you ask is it actually real?

go see it......

Jay

# 2 26-10-2011 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
I saw the trailer of that the other day, looks pretty damn sweet! the good thing about not making it live action is that the characters look like the proper characters...
live action comic book/game/cartoon based movies tend to miss that

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 26-10-2011 , 10:37 AM
The Nurb Herd
Did you see the 'making of' videos posted by a (i heard) turkish VFX company? they were pulled down pretty quick, but still available on google video.
A few people would have lost their jobs over that one!

The videos are quite interesting.

# 4 26-10-2011 , 10:42 AM
Wow serious!?

haha thats insane. Will have to have a look for those, hopefully once its out on Blu Ray it should have some nice stuff on there...

thanks for the heads up Dom

J

# 5 26-10-2011 , 12:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
# 6 26-10-2011 , 03:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes I saw those Dom... very cool. Very poorly edited and no commentary of course, but you could see the methods they were using, and it was really neat.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jay, I've been wanting to see it so it's nice to hear a positive review.

# 7 26-10-2011 , 08:38 PM
rm3d
ohh i love matchmoving, and i love seeing the cgi mimicking the actors, thank you mr cameron for pioneering this wonderful technology user added image

by the way omg i cant wait for tin tin

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 8 26-10-2011 , 09:12 PM
Cameron didn't pioneer motion capture -its been around for years -before Avatar.

J

# 9 26-10-2011 , 09:45 PM
rm3d
oh aye i know that, i mean his own sort of thing i cant quite remember what but i know he designed his own version of mo-cap technology, like the virtual set and seeing the cgi action as the real actors act it out.

# 10 26-10-2011 , 10:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cameron didn't pioneer the virtual set either... I don't know who did, but in the fellowship of the ring documentaries, you can see Peter Jackson "filming" around a virtual set combining live action and I think mocap and fully CG characters.

# 11 26-10-2011 , 10:32 PM
The Nurb Herd
also just as a third strike... its not matchmoving, its motion capture.

# 12 27-10-2011 , 06:36 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
So what did Cameron introduce and Isnt it Weta that did the cgi in avatar

# 13 27-10-2011 , 06:54 PM
All Cameron did was awaken the the sleeping giant that was movies in 3d, something that was introduced back in the 60s I believe. He woke it up and just made it better, nothing pioneered, just improved. It just became the latest thing because of the success of Avatar, which was filmed at Weta.

If you want pioneering in movies, then thank the man we all love to hate: George Lucas. He has bought so much to the table in terms of the Digital technology you and I take for granted on a daily basis..its unreal. He really pushed people to do it because of his vision, like the way Steve Jobs did at Apple. I believe he (George Lucas) was also a catalyst in the advent of the dvd player so go figure that LOL.

Tin Tin was directed by Steven Spielberg and Produced by Peter Jackson down at Weta..

Mocap...jeez that goes back a while. The earliest I recall was for Terminator 2 for the T1000 character. They essentially just film Robert Patrick with dots on and white underpants at ILM then reprojected the footage thru the PC for the animation process. Similar to how John lasseter did the stained glass Knight in Young Sherlock Holmes back in the late 80s. Also on the making of the original Jurassic Park, theres a bit of footage of legendary stop motion guru Phil Tippett animating the T-Rex Puppet thats linked to the CG one via an electronic armature to the PC....another type of mocap......!

But in hindsight motion control cameras were a way of doing 'capture' as you could repeat the process over and over to film separate elements onto film, this was introduced in the modern era by Douglas Trumbull in 2001:A Space Odyssey. May have to Wiki this stuff for more info....

Jay

# 14 27-10-2011 , 10:41 PM
rm3d
Haha that's what happens when you think you've read something right you get schooled by the people that know.
Also thanks jay for that insight it was a good wee read, I freaking love ilm and weta right now

# 15 27-12-2011 , 04:59 PM
Lifetime Member
I just saw Tin Tin over on Christmas day and I have to admit the film was absolutely amazing. The hyper-realism looks great and the animation is very clean. There where a few shots that weights seemed a little off (Tin Tin moves a desk effortlessly at the beginning ) but overall it was amazing a must see.

- Jake