Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-11-2011 , 04:58 PM

Caustics not showing on mia_material (glass like bubble)

Hello, I have a scene that I am working on. I am working with parti_volume for a mist fog effect to set you up. I have an object within the stream of foggy mist emitting from the spotlight successfully. It is also a bubble type object that is supposed to be in the beam of light. So I thought I'd create a mia_material and apply to this bubble floating in the steam and throw caustics on all I get is a black screen. Turn caustics off and I see the object again and everything is fine. I tried to link the light to the mia_material and turn caustics back on with no luck. Anyone have an idea what I am overlooking? Oh and tuned auto-volume on and off with the same result. Surely it could be done?

Thanks for help. Intermediate level.

CG_1 is with the mia_material applied but no bubble transparent effect - Ideally would like to have it with caustics....This wine glass reflecting the purple light.
CG_2 is a blinn that I made but I know the mia_material has more depth and properties.

Attached Images
# 2 03-11-2011 , 06:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
That looks like a ribbon protein model in a space-filling model. Sorry, I'm not too good with caustics yet.

# 3 03-11-2011 , 07:56 PM
You guessed right. I have been playing about trying to get a good jellyfish effect. Right now I just have the mia_material applied to it. Going to try a few things more to be able to have the caustics with the light. I'm still looking though.