Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-11-2011 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber

Move Tool

Is there a way to reverse the Move Tool?

Hope so.. it would help the work flow of lining up UVs

Anyone know?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-11-2011 , 11:48 AM
What would reversing the manipulator achieve exactly? You can move the manipulator in either direction along either axis so reversing the manipulator achieves nothing.

But to answer your question. No, you cannot reverse the manipulator along either axis.

I just have to know though out of curiosity how would you feel reversing the manipulator would speed up your uv work flow?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
# 3 11-11-2011 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
It would help in lining up UV's quicker when the UVs you are lining up are on the far right..

Example: the image on the right if the tool was reversed.. the X-Axis would point the negative direction.

dunno if I am clear about my question..

But notice the image on the left you can use the tool to line up on right the.. but when you work on the right side.. there is no "left direction" to help you line up the UVs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-11-2011 , 06:07 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, this is a bit mad. the red arrow goes both ways.

# 5 11-11-2011 , 06:19 PM
I know what he is getting at. He wants to use the manipulator as kind of a ruler to line things up. But you can achieve the same thing if you use the uv grid. Line stuff up on the grid lines. Just move the shell(s) around to align things to the grid lines.

You can also selected rows and columns of verts and align them. There is a tool for that.

There is no way to reverse the manipulator on either axis.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 11-11-2011 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
CT- glad you could understand my question. Yes as sort of a ruler or a straight edge.. I know you can use the Scale Tool after you select all the UV's and tighten them up to be straight.. However, when you have 3 edge loops (or lines of a UV's) so close together it's just tedious to zoom in and select each line of UVs when just grabbing them all and eyeballing it is best case scenario.. but rather more a pain when your UVs are to the far right of your lines you aligning to.. but not everything though always lines up with the grid user added image I am finding this is where perfection needs to be thrown out of the window and reliance on illusion should be replaced instead..

oh the more reasons I despise texture mapping

Hone - haha obviously ya think? user added image