Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-12-2011 , 07:41 PM

nurbs texturing

hi all

so I've got a project where I'm importing (non-organic) nurbs geometry into maya from rhino;

now I'm wondering about the texturing workflow--I've got a basic handle on how to do it w/ polys, but now I've got all these separate, floating planes to deal with...

so do you attach all the "loose" patches first? for instance, into manageable, logical objects? if so, what's the best way?

I could start just applying textures to each face, but it doesn't seem efficient; for instance, if I have a wood box to texture, each face shouldn't be it's own bitmap... or should it? and of course, the objects are more complex than boxes user added image

thanks!! LML

Last edited by LML; 06-12-2011 at 08:04 PM.
# 2 06-12-2011 , 10:48 PM
The thin red line
Have a look at the post before yours one will explain how to combine a nurb mesh in to a poly mesh, then its a case of what sort of texting you want..............dave

# 3 10-12-2011 , 02:15 AM
thanks Dave
I need to figure out how to turn on email notifications for replies....
cheers
LML

# 4 13-12-2011 , 04:55 PM
Hi mate,

if it needs to go fast you might want to use a projected texture (triplanar fits most situations with complex objects consisting of 1000s of patches). I know texturing nurbs models is a pain in the ass.

when you map a channel with some texture, don´t use the mode: normal but :projection instead befor you hit the file button. you can use the place2dTexture node then to rotate and scale the texture. disadvantage to this system is that there happens a lot of texture smearing. but it is the only way to rapidly texture tons of nurbs patches. also try other types of projection besides triplanar.

if you have time though and you need closeups from the model you can always convert to polygon and map UVs as usual.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.