Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-01-2012 , 09:11 PM

Rigging Issues

Alright this is the first time I've attempted to model and rig a character ever and I'm having a few issues.

First, modeling from a single polygon wasn't working out so well so I made individual parts using NURBS, revolving them, merging them and then converting to poly, which seemed to be fine.

Now, when I try to make the skeleton, binding it hasn't been working. For example when I try to rotate the arms, it'll pull the vertexes of the hip with it.
Is there an easy way to fix this?

# 2 26-01-2012 , 10:15 PM
Lifetime Member
your basic issue is that when you first modeled you probably never laid out your UV's and since Nurbs already have UV's this is what solved the issue for you.
When binding a rig each joint gets assigned a vertex which it has influence over or several joints with various weights that add up to a total of 1. To correct your problem you have to paint correct weights to the vertices for each joint the is causing you problems using the paint weights tool.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 28-01-2012 , 03:39 PM

your basic issue is that when you first modeled you probably never laid out your UV's and since Nurbs already have UV's this is what solved the issue for you.
When binding a rig each joint gets assigned a vertex which it has influence over or several joints with various weights that add up to a total of 1. To correct your problem you have to paint correct weights to the vertices for each joint the is causing you problems using the paint weights tool.

Now when I try to use the paint weights tool, I get an error that says a muscle deformer has to be applied to the geometry, but I already did that...

# 4 28-01-2012 , 07:44 PM
Lifetime Member
Make sure you have selected in the right order ....first the skin (mesh) then got to the animation menu and under the skin tab click edit smooth skin.

here's a tut that might help you Maya Skin Weight Tutorial - YouTube

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 04-02-2012 , 03:27 PM
Okay up until now everything was going smoothly. I used the edit membership tool but realized that when I do that the hip vertexes aren't connected to any part of the skeleton, making the mesh stretch when i move the character.
I've tried using the paint weights tool a few times but honestly I just get lost whenever I try it.