Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-06-2012 , 03:36 AM

batch render settings

hi,

we've an animated short to render out as a group Uni project and powerful systems are thin on the ground. I've an early (2009 I think) mac pro with 8gb ram which is better than the average student laptop and so has been drafted in to help out.

I've been setting up batch renders but I'm disappointed with how my machine is handling them; it's not cutting edge I know, but maya doesn't seem to be grabbing the full resources on offer. What are the best settings to use in the batch options? I've been told to disable auto threads, and I remember a single frame render problem I had was solved by turning off auto memory, but what is the best combination for 'maxing out'? - my aim is to set and go and leave the processors simmering

ps. and how many threads do I have..? user added image

thanks

# 2 03-06-2012 , 04:13 AM
Technical Director
It all depends on what Maya's doing. Certain operations are multi-threaded, while others can only use a single thread. By default, Maya will use every resource it can get it's hands on (assuming you're using a 64 bit operating system)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 03-06-2012 , 04:22 AM
Yes it's 64 bit. Maya 2012. Am I best leaving 'auto' on or off?

# 4 03-06-2012 , 08:32 AM
The thin red line
2 threads per core so 4 cores = 8 threads, auto is most likely picking up all your cores to check just do a batch render and look in the windows task manager to see if all core are being used................dave