Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 03-09-2012 , 05:18 PM
Senior Animator - Sumo Digital
I think I'm going to be able to find some time to get this finished.

Video

# 17 04-09-2012 , 12:35 PM
Details to the underside ...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by misterjackson; 04-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.
# 18 06-09-2012 , 12:16 AM
I'm sorry but this thing is just exquisite.

I'm really just in awe. Spectacular design flow, exicution and balance. Modeling, well, there it is. But this is just a beautiful piece of organic hardware period.

On a technical note, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get the real-time (portal view) ambient occlusion settings? I'd love to work with that as my default shader/light.

Cheers man. Well done.

# 19 06-09-2012 , 12:46 AM

On a technical note, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get the real-time (portal view) ambient occlusion settings?

I think I found that info and a tut on it. Baking an occlusion map? Correct?

# 20 06-09-2012 , 06:15 AM
Travis, as soon as I get to work I will try and sort out a video to post on how to set it up.

Many thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. user added image

# 21 06-09-2012 , 07:09 AM
Sorry I posted the last response under an older account ... stupid me. Anyhoo ... I've created the video.
Worth mentioning, you don't have to set the viewport to default material to get this to work, I did it because I have shaders that don't play nice with the renderer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFp5KHJ6njM

# 22 06-09-2012 , 03:10 PM
Wow. I'm really taken aback that you took your personal time to juggle that for me. THANK YOU!

When I get home from MY day job, this will be the first thing I do this evening, besides editing my time lapse video of my new millionth side project. is it just me or do all digital artists have like 3 things going at once when they first start out?

Thanks heaps man. Won't forget the help and effort on your part.

Best,

Travis

# 23 06-09-2012 , 05:49 PM
Hey no problem.

My mind is always swimming with dozens of different things I want to do. I'm told the trick is to focus on one at a time. Not easily done though.
Right now I want to finish this model, rig it then shoot some video an composite it in animated. I also want to build a stop motion puppet of a character I've designed, after I've finished a painting of him I started, I have plans for a short film, based on one of my favourite game franchises as well as a couple of other more leisurely things I want to do. Plus I have the day job to fulfil. On top of all that, family with three children. Not enough time in the day. Not sleeping isn't an option.

If you have any problems with the real time rendering just let me know. I can't promise I'll know the answers, but I'm happy to try.

# 24 06-09-2012 , 06:15 PM
LOL. Indeed.

And I'll let you know.

# 25 07-09-2012 , 06:12 AM
wicked AO trick and I don't even use Maya...

# 26 10-09-2012 , 08:36 PM
# 27 10-09-2012 , 08:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
Very nice I'm a big fan of this creation, and it keeps getting better. Do post up the full rig when you get it done I'd love to see it.

All the best
Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 28 10-09-2012 , 08:43 PM
I agree it's look ing cool and I am interested in seeing the rig as well.

One question - How are you getting the real time shadows and what looks like AO? I don't see viewport 2.0 or HQ rendering tag on in the display.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 29 10-09-2012 , 09:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's a sweet rig so far. Looks awesome. Rick, I think it is 2.0, just cropped out of the video.

# 30 10-09-2012 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
nice! looks like you need some rigging controls

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D