Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-12-2012 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber

Tie fighter project

Hi, and happy new year to everyone.

I'm currently working on the tie fighter, as a beginner, but for the past few days i've got nowhere with the third lesson concerning the wing.

Please see attached pic.

The issue i have concerns exturding the outer framework, i've selected the object gone to exturd but everytime the outer frame exturds not as a solid. It appears there is no front face to the frame.

What have i done wrong? is there a way to replace the front face?

Many thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-12-2012 , 02:05 PM
The thin red line
Ive not done this tut but I think its a problem with your norms, try reversing the norms on your whole model then do the extrude............dave

# 3 30-12-2012 , 06:18 PM
As Dave says the most likely cause is that you have reversed normals AND backface culling on. So you effectively see the inside of the framing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 31-12-2012 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber

tie fighter

Hi,

Thanks for all who responded. I tried the suggestions but still had the same result as before.

I think the problem is that the front face is missing, so when i extrude all that happens are the sides and rear face extrude. If i take the extrudtion in the other direction the rear face is missing.

Is there a way to replace a missing face??

Thanks.

# 5 31-12-2012 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
Futaba,
Can you send me your scene file, and I'll see if i can figure out the issue?
Its been so long since i recorded this tutorial, i don't fully remember every step of the process and the order i did them in.
Thank you
George

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 6 31-12-2012 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber

Futaba,
Can you send me your scene file, and I'll see if i can figure out the issue?
Its been so long since i recorded this tutorial, i don't fully remember every step of the process and the order i did them in.
Thank you
George

Hi,
Thank you for responding.
i think i've worked something out, hopefully correct, i went into normals as sugguested which didn't work then i clicked on conform and the issue disappeared. please see pic.
I've just started using maya and this is my very first attempt at modelling so hopefully i've not done something that will catch me out later.

Happy new year to you and your family.

Attached Thumbnails