Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-12-2012 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber

tie fighter

Hi and a merry christmas to all,

I'm working through the tie fighter project from this site and have hit a problem.
It's my first attempt at using maya to model.
If you look at the attached pic, i've got to the stage of exturding the rings on the support arm. After selecting the faces and the exturd tool, the faces move out as indiviual arms and not as a complete ring.

As anyone any ideas what setting i've got wrong/

Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-12-2012 , 12:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Under the polygon menu set make sure the "Keep faces together" option is selected.

Attached Images

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 24-12-2012 , 05:54 PM
Don't feel bad "keep faces together" catches a lot of people just starting with maya. You can also find this option on the creation node in the channel box.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675