Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-05-2015 , 11:41 PM

Tie Fighter beginner questions

I'm just starting out here with Maya 2016 and trying to give the Tie Fighter a go. I have two probably basic issues right out of the gate.
1) After making the reference planes and applying the images, every object I make after such as the eyeball, wing, wing support, ect has the side wing image applied to it. If I try to delete the image in the Attribute editor for these objects, it will delete the image from the reference plane. This has to be something simple. I searched and haven't found anything.
2)There is a step in the second video that says to go to the select menu and add the "select edge loop tool" to the custom shelf. I can't find "select edge loop tool" anywhere. Searched for it also and nothing.
Thanks,
Mark

# 2 26-05-2015 , 09:52 AM
The thin red line
Lambert1 is the default material, if you have applied a image to lambert1 it will show on every new object. To stop this create a new lambert and name it some thing like "side image" and apply the image to this and delete the image from Lambert1. The tool you are looking for is "insert edge loop tool".......................dave

# 3 26-05-2015 , 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Wasn't there actually a "select edge loop" command in older versions? As crazy as it sounds. Now you can just double click the edge or use the arrow keys.

- Genny
# 4 26-05-2015 , 09:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'm using Maya 2015 and I see the select edge loop tool. Select > Select Edge Loop Tool. It is pretty useless with the advent of the double-click; maybe it was finally done away with in 2016.

# 5 27-05-2015 , 01:18 AM
Got the Lambert/texture thing figured out. I appreciate the help. I think the "select edge loop" has been removed from 2016. In these tie fighter videos done in 2008, he is adding things to his custom shelf as he goes. I was worried that missing a step would just throw me off track as I went further along. Although I haven't gotten to the part he uses it, I think you're right that there is no need for it. Thanks!