Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-03-2013 , 01:28 PM
Noober than noob

30-hour alien clock.

Since I need this for something on my Deviant Art, I've started working on it.
I might learn a bit more about modeling this way.
The end result should be a clock with 30 hours (not Arabic numerals though, some other symbols), and gold casing that has some branches with leaves decor going around it (the bend deformer might work for this).

So far I have the case and I've started to model the branches. I might just copy the leaves / pieces of branches and extend the branch that way so that I won't have to do the leaves all the time for every new branch.
Once that is finished, I'll have to work on the dial and clock hands.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 05-03-2013 , 09:17 PM
Noober than noob
Vine decor so far, and I'm thinking of making the case of copper instead, to contrast with the golden branches.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 05-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.
# 3 05-03-2013 , 10:33 PM
The thin red line
If I was modelling a alien clock I would do some thing like two dials one for normal time and another for say eclipes of a moon, just a thought.............dave

# 4 05-03-2013 , 11:04 PM
Noober than noob

If I was modelling a alien clock I would do some thing like two dials one for normal time and another for say eclipes of a moon, just a thought.............dave

I think I could incorporate a secondary mini circle for lunar phases on the main dial (not on its center, but on the side of its center, almost like an astral clock), but should I use normal clock hands or... something different? Though only thing that comes to mind right now is an axe-shaped or anchor-shaped indicator, but not sure how that could work.
Due to the size this clock will be on a chapter icon, hope it would be seen properly.
Though I will post a big picture of it too in my 3D gallery so it will be seen properly.
Thanks for the idea, I will make sure to mention credits to you for the idea once the work is done, if you agree with it, otherwise I won't add the secondary dial.

I only have ideas for one symbol out of 30 so far (one that looks like the word Ko) for the hours.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 06-03-2013 at 01:41 AM.
# 5 06-03-2013 , 09:51 AM
The thin red line
You can use this as you like I dont model watches or clocksuser added image, quick sketch of the look I was thinking about....................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 06-03-2013 , 11:18 AM
Noober than noob

You can use this as you like I dont model watches or clocksuser added image, quick sketch of the look I was thinking about....................dave

Yeah but it has to be circular though. The clocks on the planet it's from look like retro ones, with some unusual symbols. (well, the planet itself is a retro version of Earth, only that human-feline and human-bird hybrids live on it - no, not cat eared people, but humans with feline patterns on their hair, and humans with feathers on arms and instead of facial hair).

However, the leaf hands do inspire me to put branches around the hands of the clock. I need the hands to be black so they'd stand out over the white dial but some golden branches would probably look good on them.
Thanks for the ideas, I'll get working on the dial as soon as I finish with the branches.
I think it would be easier if I don't use the bend deformer, and instead deform them myself and even connect the top row of branches with the bottom one (there will be 2 rows of plant decor around the clock) so that it would be more like a spiral.

# 7 06-03-2013 , 10:44 PM
Noober than noob
A terribly-drawn concept in Corel DRAW... done in less than 5 minutes.
user added image
Didn't draw the branches with leaves I plan on putting around the clock hands yet. And still didn't decide what indicator to use for lunar phase dial.
Symbols are temporary, I need to think of some interesting ones. Maybe I need to study the history of numbers. Something close to Roman numerals but branching away from them.

Current progress... more plants...
user added image

Oh yeah, and can someone tell me how to do a 2nd hole in a circle please? I know how to make a circle with one hole, but if I want a 2nd, smaller hole for the lunar phase dial on the same circle, would it be possible? If so, what base primitive should I start with for that? A tube? Cylinder?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 06-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.
# 8 07-03-2013 , 02:13 PM
Noober than noob
The vines are finished, now to work on the dial. But how do I make a disc with 2 holes? (1 big hole at the center, and another, smaller one, on the right side of the bigger hole)
user added image

My friend Tristen gave me an idea as well with a rotating circle in that ditch on the edge. It would show the seconds, thus I would only need to place the hour and minute clock hands, and the circle would just spin and complete a cycle = 1 minute. I just need to decide what the seconds indicator should be. A golden, pyramid-shaped thingy? A dent in the circle?

EDIT: I think I like it more with this color, closer to copper, and the dent in the gold ring seems to be good.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 08-03-2013 at 01:33 AM.
# 9 08-03-2013 , 12:56 PM
Noober than noob
Holes have been drilled.
Thanks to mickhah for suggesting the use of booleans for making the second hole in the disc.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 09-03-2013 at 12:25 AM.
# 10 09-03-2013 , 01:23 AM
Noober than noob
Suddenly, different hands.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 09-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.
# 11 10-03-2013 , 01:07 AM
Noober than noob
So far, I've got the main 4 hours. That leaves 26 more that need to be distinct.
user added image
Update: So I've based most of them off roman numerals but now they've ended up looking like some kind of Chinese characters...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 11-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
# 12 15-03-2013 , 12:14 PM
Noober than noob
Will probably leave it like this, will need to figure out what more to do before making the final version (which will be a 3-screen split image to show side, front and back of the model).
user added image
And looks like I will need a bit more anti-aliasing.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 15-03-2013 at 12:17 PM.
# 13 15-03-2013 , 12:48 PM
Noober than noob
Much better.

Well, I guess I'll leave it like this.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 15-03-2013 at 10:51 PM.