Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-03-2013 , 08:15 PM

Hair sticking out from hat, solution?

user added image

Pretty self explained. I want to get rid of the hair sticking out from the hat.
I tried making the hair a mesh (pfxhairshape -> draw as mesh), then put a big object over it and make it a boolean diffrence and i got an error: "2 meshes has to be selected". and since i have over 5000 hairs i guess that doesnt work.

Any sulotion how to get rid of the outsticking hair?

Thanks!
- Skalman

Edit: I got another very simple question too:
When i've combined 2 meshes i get something like this: "newmesh" (a mesh object) and i get a "newmesh + child "transform1""
As i only need the "newmesh" object itself, is it possible to delete the "newmesh + child "transform1"" item in the outliner?

Last edited by Skalman; 12-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.
# 2 12-03-2013 , 09:22 PM
1. well, i think, turn the hat into rigid body, set it above the head, connect it to nucleus with gravity and simply let it fall onto the head, pressing the hair down.

2. simply delete history of the new object, and all useless stuff will be deleted.

# 3 12-03-2013 , 10:55 PM
my hair is falling through my headmesh. how do i fix ? :/

/

The hair wont collide with the mesh

Last edited by Skalman; 12-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.
# 4 13-03-2013 , 01:06 AM
make a rigid body of that mesh.

# 5 17-03-2013 , 04:57 PM
since the hair goes literairly from where the hair starts to almost the ear my hair will just fall over his face (at the eyes) and i've been going thru all the parameter and can't seem to get it right. it either just go crazy, or fall above his face.

Is there no way you can just make all the hair a mesh, then put a boolean difference on so the hair won't show where the outsticking hair is?

thanks for the reply

# 6 17-03-2013 , 05:28 PM
The thin red line
You could use paint effect hair and convert to polys, you will find a few examples in the visor.............dave

# 7 17-03-2013 , 06:44 PM
my hair is done in paint effects, and if i choose "draw as mesh" i'll get it a mesh, but if i try to make a boolean difference on it, it'll tell me that there are too many objects to "boole" on. therefore i would like to have all my hairs one simple mesh. for me that would be easier.

thanks.

# 8 17-03-2013 , 07:02 PM
The thin red line
I thought it was maya hair, thats ok you can convert paintfx to polys, first select your hair and in the attribute editor mesh outputs tick "output quads" then go to modify/convert/paintfx to polys tick on there quad output then convert...............dave

# 9 17-03-2013 , 07:12 PM
Thank you so much Dave!
I'm so happy right now, you are the best! thanks alot!