Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-04-2013 , 12:37 AM

Environment modeling for animation.

What kind of modeling people use for modeling environments in animation movies? Do they use subd objects in everything? or use high polygonal meshes?

3D Environment : Hunter's Village on Vimeo

such as this one. I can't figure out if the houses are polygonal or subd...

# 2 24-04-2013 , 09:56 AM
Lifetime Member
UUUmmmm mate thats a game....not a movie?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 24-04-2013 , 10:16 AM
I haven't really checked the details on this video. It seemed like the polycount was very high for a game. She also has mentioned it is mid/ high. How about other known animation movies? What is the common choice in production level. Polygons or subd for all buildings and stuff?

# 4 24-04-2013 , 02:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
I would guess polygon, seeing as Autodesk has dropped a number if subd menus in 2014. If everyone used subd in big production pipelines, I doubt they would have done that.

# 5 27-04-2013 , 09:43 AM
I am trying both at different times to experience the results. To get the cartoon look i mostly use lattice . If i use lattice on a mesh that has 4 segmented bevels, i always get corners at the curved edges and having some smooth problems. However the smooth meshes are problem free but heavy. I guess ill check more environment designs in wireframe. Self teaching is hard ! Wish i had the chance to study a program with a decent educational workflow.