Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-05-2013 , 08:22 AM

Editing the CORNERS of Faces??

Hi everybody,

I'm having this problem that really bugs me so I hope you can help me.

I'm doing a bear character's head and while everything looks decent in normal preview mode 1 the mesh is "distorted" in smooth preview 3.

In this particular case I want to extrude the bear's snout and made splits to the faces to the left and to the right. In 1 mode it looks like what I need, but in 3 mode the mesh shows twists where Idon't want them. The edges should come in straight, but they are curves where I don't want them. What I need is the blue dotted line shown on the picture.

Is there a way to either edit the behaviour of the "corner" of the face, the vertex itself or the curve behaviour like telling it going from bent to straight? Meshes in tutorials never look as warped as mine is!

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-05-2013 , 09:09 AM
The thin red line
I would look in the topology in the work in progress forum also I think you need a good tutorial on organic modelling as your mesh needs a lot of work, we all start some wereuser added image................dave

# 3 01-05-2013 , 05:37 PM
I know where I want to go with my bear, therefor I need to know how to get rid of angles/warps like that cause they are exactly where I don't need them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-05-2013 , 06:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
Smooth preview uses an algorithm to average over the existing vertices. Therefore there is no way to change how the smooth preview looks without changing how the base mesh looks. Instead of using the smooth preview, you could actually smooth it (mesh > smooth) and then tweak the vertices to get your desired shape. But a better workflow would be to change your topology to get rid of the triangles and route your edgeloops properly. As dave said, look in the topology sticky thread for some great examples. It's difficult to explain in words how to do this.

# 5 01-05-2013 , 07:40 PM
Sure there are many ways to achieve the same. The way our teacher showed us is different from what I find on the internet. Our teacher said we should always switch between 1 and 3 to see if our head looks OK in both ways. Of course when sth looks OK in 1 it can be completely out of place in 3 and vice versa. Now that I'm dealing with it I realized I don't know why we should do that at all.

It's not hard to figure what the mesh schould look like and split the polygons according to these pictures. It's also created in 1 view and on the 2nd pic I think with edges set to soft edges. At least there are no warps as in my mesh.

https://blog.bttrove.org/images/model...human_head.png
https://pixelscholar.com/wp-content/u...ed-300x214.jpg

Should I forget about 3 and do the head as it is shown all over the internet? To be honest this seems more plausible than the stuff our tacher is showing us.

Attached Thumbnails