Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-01-2012 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

Channel box - layers won't lock

I peculiar thing happened in one of my scenes. Half the layers in channel box won't lock. I can toggle Reference and Template on and off but it doesn't effect the objects in the scene. The only thing that works is the visibility. Does anyone know what's causing the issue?

# 2 27-01-2012 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
Happened the same with me earlier... maya 2011. it was funny i could select what i want in reference & template mode too .....
made a restart & it wokred again

# 3 27-01-2012 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
..just tried that, but didn't help.

# 4 27-01-2012 , 03:21 AM
EduSciVis-er
Are you sure the objects are still on those layers?

Edit: Never mind... if the visibility is working, then that answers that.

# 5 27-01-2012 , 07:24 AM
The Nurb Herd
Are you using a mac?

# 6 27-01-2012 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
no, a PC....

# 7 16-07-2013 , 06:20 PM
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, but same thing happened to me and this is only topic describing exactly same problem I've found so far.

I already tried to delete all layers, then select a group that contains everything in my airship, create new group assigning selection. Then Visibility toggle works completely fine, but Template or Reference mode only changes parts of my model..

I also have sub-groups in my model, for example engines, wings,.. but it doesn't act on per-subgroup basis. For example my engines sub-group contains both the wing engines plus the back engine, but in template mode, only back engines changes.

I'm starting to loose my mind here.

Any ideas? I'm using Maya 2013 SP2 on PC.
Thank you very much for your time.

# 8 22-07-2013 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
I'm not 100% but I think I eventually just re-installed Maya to fix that..

or before you do that, try deleting that preferences folder or whatever it's called... that one solves about 99% of Maya issues

good luck

# 9 22-07-2013 , 04:29 PM
Ooops, I totally forgot I wrote it here too, just got email notify from you.

Anyway, solution is following>

Originally Posted by djx
All transform and shape nodes have an attribute called ".overrideEnabled". When you add something to a displayLayer, a connection is made from the displayLayer to the thing you added, so now the displayLayer sets the overrideEnabled attribute via a direct connection. Then when you delete the layer, the connection is broken, but often you will notice that the sate of the overrideEnabled attribute will be still set to 1. Since these attributes exist at all levels in a heirarchy it is sometimes hard to work out where to go to correct the problem.

You can turn off all unconnected nodes as follows (python)

Code:
import pymel.core as pm
for n in pm.ls(type='transform'):
try:
n.overrideEnabled.set(0)
n.getShape().overrideEnabled.set(0)
except:
pass